Ragu spaghetti sauce made with ground meat
This ground meat sauce is a delicious hearty ragu pasta spaghetti sauce that is comforting and delicious! The key to making a delicious minced meat sauce recipe is low and slow cooking according to my Italian neighbor.
SO YUM! A comforting meat sauce with al dente spaghetti is something I have always loved.
Contrary to what I grew up knowing, an authentic Italian meat sauce is the true meaning of Ragu and not just the pasta sauce company. I am definitely thankful for some amazing neighbors who knew real Italian food and shared their ways with me growing up, because this is a go-to in our home.
- ground meat (beef, turkey, or alternative)
- arrabiata pasta sauce (or your favorite)
- Cento Brand crushed tomatoes (substitute with San Marzano Brand)
- fresh grated garlic
- parmigiano reggiano (fresh grated)
- water, oil, salt, black pepper
- dried oregano
- baking soda
- red pepper flakes
See the recipe card for directions
- Cook on low heat for about 1-2 hours to get the best results
- Add extra red chili flakes for more spice
- Cheese is a must have for this recipe!
Whats the Key?
A very slow simmer! Who would have thought slow-cooking ground meat would change the flavor of a sauce? If you are in a hurry to have dinner, then this is definitely not a go-to meal. If you want to hang out and have some drinks, call some friends, or have a dance party with your kids pre-dinner, then this needs to be on the menu pronto!
- Kid Friendly- Use pasta sauce that is kid-friendly and no chili flakes.
- Vegetarian- Use soy grounds instead of meat (I do not recommend using a vegetable based ground. In my experience soy has worked best)
Kid Friendly Recipes...
More Pasta Recipes...
Let's Talk Cheese!
The debate will be never-ending when it comes to Parmigiano Reggiano vs pecorino romano. One is a bit tangier than the other and for that reason, I would go with Parmigiano Reggiano for this dish. It has a milder flavor which I think pairs well with the slow-cooked meat.
More Non-Veg Recipes...
- Mint Chicken with Thai Basil and Minced Meat
- Kheema Pizza - an Indian Pizza with Chicken
- Indian Chicken Kheema Recipe
Ragu Meat Sauce
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, or alternative)
- 12 oz arrabiata pasta sauce (or your favorite)
- 1 12oz can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 cloves fresh grated garlic
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano
- 12 oz package of uncooked spaghetti
- 8 oz water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch baking soda
- black pepper
- water for boiling
- red pepper flakes
- Heat some oil in a sauce pan and add the ground meat. Sprinkle a pinch of baking soda and add the water.
- Continue to break up the meat.
- Season with salt, oregano, garlic, and black pepper.
- Add the pasta sauce.
- Let it come to a boil but continue to break the meat if necessary.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and let it cook for about 2 hours while continuing to stir every once in a while.
- At this point you can make the spaghetti.
- Boil salted water in a large pot.
- Once it reaches a boil, add the spaghetti and cook to your texture liking. Strain and set it aside.
- Once the sauce has simmered you can mix the pasta and sauce together or have a "make your own bowl" dinner.
- Don't forget to top the spaghetti with some parmigiano reggiano and red pepper flakes.
- Make it a low carb friendly meal by using zucchini noodles or almond pasta.
I recommend using semolina-based spaghetti for a more authentic taste that is cooked al-dente.
For this recipe, you can use zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
You do not, but for optimal results I recommend it.
I would recommend a white wine with this dish since it is spicy.
Leave a Reply