Keto- Friendly Indian Chicken Seekh Kebabs!
Chicken kebabs in the oven can be cooked 365 days a year! I love cooking them in the oven for ease but you are welcome to try this recipe on a griddle or grill. This easy ground chicken recipe is mixed with herbs and Indian spices. A healthy and Indian keto-friendly and family favorite recipe when served as a wrap or on top of rice.
Healthy Oven Baked Chicken Kebabs
These are an all-time favorite of mine. I have made them for years and they just never get old. Instead, the recipe keeps getting perfected! They can be eaten as an appetizer or even a meal if wrapped in a warm tortilla/naan with some cilantro sauce! There is a cilantro overload in this dish (sorry my cilantro-hating friends). Personally, I think kebabs taste better when spicy. But if you don't like spice then I recommend using very little garlic, ginger, and green chilies.
What ingredients are needed for Chicken Seekh Kebabs?
- ground chicken
- dried onions
- coriander powder
- green garlic (optional)
- egg (optional)
I bake these chicken kebabs in the oven for about 45-50 minutes at 375 degrees and they come out great. No need to flip them, just bake with the water in the tray under. The timing can vary based on the size of the kebabs. These are longer than my hand and about 2-3" in diameter.
Skewing is also optional. If using wooden skewers, then dip them in water for 30 minutes prior to using. Otherwise, I recommend metal skewers which can be bought at any grocery store, target, or even most dollar stores. They are more versatile and a long-term investment because they can be used for almost everything.
EGG IS OPTIONAL
Quick and Easy Chicken Kebab Wrap
Other easy meal ideas
Some tips for chicken kebabs
- The measurements are for spicy kebabs. If you prefer less spicy foods, then use less ginger, garlic, and chili peppers.
- Add water to the bottom of a roasting pan, then place a baking rack over it assuring the two do not touch each other. Place the kebabs on top of the rack and cook. This helps keep the kebabs moist inside.
- Serve with my Cilantro Sauce/Raita
- My current favorite cooking pan is this one right here also available at Target.
Chicken Kebabs Baked in the Oven
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated green chilis according to your spice tolerance (thai, serrano, jalapeno, etc)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped GREEN garlic (optional)
- 5 tablespoon dried chopped onions (key ingredient and replacement for bread crumbs)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oil (for kebab mixture)
- 1 egg (optional)
- fresh grated turmeric (optional)
- oil, for cooking
- OVEN BAKED CHICKEN KEBABS
- If using, soak wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes.
- Mix all of the kebab ingredients together and set it aside while you heat the oven and gather the cooking pans.
- Feel free to marinate for up to 2 days. I sometimes don't do this and it turns out just fine as well.
- Separate the mixture to make even quantity for each shape you will be making. You can make patties, meatballs, or original long shaped kebabs. Use the skewers if you choose to.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put oil on your hands and form kebab shapes making sure each kebab is coated with a good amount of oil.
- Place each kebab on an oven roasting pan and cook for about 30 minutes.
- No flipping required, but the timing can vary depending on size of kebabs. It is best to cook until the center reaches 165 degrees.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and serve hot.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve as an appetizer with cilantro chutney or for dinner with hot roti, tortilla, naan, or rice. A onion salad and lemon wedge compliment this dish well.
Seekh Kebab Dipping Sauce Recipe
Jalapeno Cilantro Sauce
- 1 cup cilantro, stems and leaves (about 1 bunch of cilantro)
- 1 cup sour cream (see above for substitutions)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic (more or less)
- 1 green chili pepper of choice (jalapeno, thai chili, serrano, etc)
- water (optional)
- Blend the cilantro, garlic, and green chili pepper into a fine paste.
- Mix the blended contents with sour cream and some salt. If you prefer a more dressing like consistency, then add some water and mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator or enjoy immediately.