Hariyali Jeera Chicken - a quick 10 minute Indian rotisserie chicken recipe
If you love easy recipes, then you've come to the right place. This Indian-inspired rotisserie chicken recipe is easy, delicious, and healthy! Pair it with quinoa, rice, or wrap it inside of a tortilla.
My Dad gets credit for this Indian chicken recipe! In the early 1970's, he was an immigrant who smelled rotisserie chicken at grocery stores and decided to make something with it. It pairs well with potato salad, coleslaw, or basmati rice.
- Trader Joe's Zhoug Sauce (substitute below with ingredients pictured above)
- pulled rotisserie chicken (no skin no bones)
- oil- any cooking oil will work
- red chili powder or chili flakes
- cumin seeds
- turmeric powder
See the recipe card for quantities
Make a homemade zhoug sauce or purchase at Trader Joe's. Grind whole cumin seeds in a coffee grinder. Set it aside
Cook the zhoug sauce and cumin seeds in hot oil for about a minute.
Add in the turmeric powder, extra spice, salt, and the cooked rotisserie chicken.
Cook until heated through and enjoy with your choice of salad mix, rice, quinoa, or as a wrap.
Advice: Add water if you prefer the consistency of a gravy chicken that pairs well with naan.
- Chicken- substitute roasted cauliflower or paneer
- Zhoug Sauce- make a homemade version using ginger, garlic, salt, lemon juice, cilantro, and chili peppers.
Pair it with...
- white rice
- brown rice
- quinoa (flavored or unflavored)
- quick Instant Pot masala rice
- condiments: papad, onion salad, and fresh lemon
- large skillet or wok
- cutting board
- coffee grinder/chutney machine
Feel free to refrigerate the hariyali jeera chicken up to 2 days in the refrigerator. I do not recommend freezing the chicken.
- Add the least amount of water necessary to keep the chicken dry. It pairs well inside of tacos, burritos, and khati rolls.
- I recommend using a rotisserie chicken or pre-cooked chicken.
- Add vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini, squash, onions, etc
10 Minute Hariyali Jeera Chicken
- 8 oz Trader Joe's zhoug sauce (or recipe above)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, deboned and skinned and chopped to desired size
- ¼ cup grinded jeera/cumin seeds (powder not recommended)
- ½ cup water (more or less depending on your consistency preference)
- pinch turmeric (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dry coriander powder (optional)
- red chili powder (optional for extra spice)
- lemon wedge (garnishment)
- cilantro (garnishment)
- Heat a pan with a generous amount of oil.
- Add the jeera seeds and zhoug sauce to the pan.
- Cook until the raw flavor is out. Takes about 30 seconds to a minute with constant stirring.
- Add the chopped chicken, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, salt, and water.
- Mix well and heat through.
- Serve with a lemon wedge and onion salad.
- ENJOY! <3
Hariyali simply means green. In which case, a Hariyali Chicken Recipe would mean Green Chicken Recipe.
A seed used in various different cuisines that generally ranges from the Middle East to India, but has been adapted by all cuisines throughout the years.
Yes, they sell cumin powder but they do not sell cumin seeds which is what is needed for this recipe.
Homemade Copycat Trader Joe's Zhoug Sauce
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 3 serrano chili peppers
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 5 tablespoon oil
- fresh lemon/lime juice
- 3-4 curry leaves (optional)
- red chili flakes (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder (optional)
Blend all of the ingredients together
Make it a Wrap
A fan favorite! The recipe uses left over/meal prepped Indian rotisserie jeera chicken and as a stuffing in addition to these ingredients...
- warm tortilla (try siete for healthier version)
- hariyali jeera chicken
- crushed roasted papad
- onion raita
- garlic chutney