How to make Basmati Rice in an Instant Pot
Let me help you perfect a simple rice recipe! This failproof recipe for Instant Pot Basmati Rice is perfect for fried rice, biryani, or a side dish. Plus, it can be ready within minutes.
Recipe on repeat- Enjoy it with one of my tasty curry recipes like Butter Chicken, Desi Tapelu Chicken, or use it to make Indian Fried Rice.
- Basmati Rice
Place the rice in the inner Instant Pot steel pot and wash the rice until the water is almost clear.
Put the steel pot inside of the Instant Pot. Add salt and close the lid.
Set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes and close the vent so no air escapes during the cooking process.
Once the Instant Pot is done cooking, let it cool down, and then open the lid. Fluff the rice and enjoy!
If it is hard to find basmati rice, then feel free to use a variation you have in your pantry such as jasmine rice or sushi rice.
- Basmati Rice- this jasmine rice is the one I recommend
Variations and Health Tips
- Organic- limited pesticides are used when growing the rice with organic guidelines.
- India Grown- the least amount of arsenic is found in Indian grown rice. I prefer to purchase organic and Indian grown for my family or Lundenberg
- US Grown- depending on where it was grown, the rice might have chemicals such as arsenic which is a known carcinogen.
- Use equal parts water to rice ratio for al-dente rice. Perfect for biryani or fried rice
- Wash the rice thoroughly before cooking
- Add oil if you want to have separate pieces of rice strands (think Afghani Pilaf)
- Add a little more water if you prefer more cooked rice.
Serve it with...
- Jeera Chicken- a quick 10 minute recipe
- Chana Masala- creamy garbanzo or chickpeas
- Paneer Chili- paneer with asian flavors
- Desi Chicken- A village chicken curry (pictured above)
- Dhaba Chicken- Simple and easy Instant pot Chicken
- Mint Chicken- Burmese inspired chicken recipe
Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Instant Pot
- Measuring Cup
- 1 cup well rinsed white rice
- 1 ¼ cup water
- salt (optional)
- oil (optional)
- Place the ingredients in the Instant Pot.
- Optional: Add oil if you prefer the rice to be cooked in separate kernels.
- Close the lid and set the vent to sealing so no air is released during the cooking process.
- Set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Let the Instant Pot cool completely. Hence, the valve will drop.
- Once cool, open the lid slowly and fluff with a fork.
It remains the same. The Instant Pot will take longer to come up to steam and longer to cool down, but the cooking time still remains the same.
I don't recommend it (unless you are making rice for daal bhaat) because it alters the flavor of the recipe that you might decide to make with the leftover rice. Hence, Chinese fried rice (with ghee might be a little off).
Skip the salt if you plan on using the rice to make fried rice or anything with extra sodium such as soy sauce or bouillon.
Before! I highly recommend adding it before the cooking process to get the right texture. Additional ghee can be added on top during serving.
My kids eat the rice this same way almost every day! No substitutions needed.
Leave a Reply