This Chinese Salt and Pepper Chicken Recipe is one of my favorite fakeaway recipes
If you love Chinese takeout, then give this recipe a try! Boneless chicken bites are fried with spices, salt, and pepper then tossed with jalapenos, onions, and scallions. A comforting recipe worth drooling over!
I highly recommended taking this Chinese fakeaway recipe to gatherings. It pairs well with cold beverages.
- corn starch
- Chinese 5 spice
- white pepper
- black pepper
- white onion
- jalapeno pepper
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- green onion (scallions)
- oil for frying
- oil for saute
Make the corn starch mixture by mixing the corn starch, Chinese 5 spice, black pepper, and salt together. Set it aside.
Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and coat them in the corn starch mixture.
Deep fry the chicken for about five minutes or until cooked through. I love my HexClad pans!
In another pan, heat a little oil and saute the chopped white onion and jalapeno until al dente. Add the grated or chopped garlic, salt, black pepper, green onion, and white pepper.
Mix quickly and then add the fried chicken pieces. Saute for about 2 minutes and serve warm.
- deep frying pot
- wok or equivalent
- microplane (optional)
- cutting board and knife
- paper towels
- skimmer or frying ladle
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - substitute with chicken wings
- Jalapeno- bell pepper for a less spicy version
- White Onion- substitute with red onion
- Gluten Free- This recipe is naturally gluten-free. If Celiac, be sure to use gluten free labeled ingredients to prevent contamination.
- Air Fry- I do not recommend air-frying this recipe.
- Garlic- can used minced, chopped, or blended garlic but fresh is recommended.
Storage and Reheating
Reheating- Simply air fry the chicken until they are heated through. Then toss it with the onions, jalapenos, and spices.
Freezer Friendly- the fried chicken pieces may be frozen for up to 3 months.
Pair it with...
- Fry the chicken on high heat
- The smaller the chicken pieces the quicker the chicken will cook.
- This recipe calls for extra salt, but it really does make the recipe come together.
Chinese Salt and Pepper Chicken Recipe
- Wok or equivalent
- Frying Ladle
- Frying pan to fry
- Bowl + Paper Towel to drain fried chicken
- Knife and Cutting Board
- Microplane (optional for garlic)
Corn Starch Mixture
- ¾ cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- ¾ tablespoon salt (I use Morton's Iodized salt)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
Salt and Pepper Chicken Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 medium jalapenos, diced
- 4 sprigs green onions/scallions, diced
- ½ tablespoon oil
- oil, for frying
- 3 cloves garlic, either minced, grated, or chopped finely
Corn Starch Mixture
- Combine the corn starch, Chinese 5 spice, salt, and black pepper together.
- Add the chopped chicken to the corn starch mixture, mix it until coated, and set it aside.
Frying the Chicken
- Heat oil in a frying pan on high heat.
- Dust off the extra corn starch mixture from the chicken and then fry it until golden brown (about 3 minutes).
- Drain excess oil from the chicken by placing it in a bowl/tray with paper towels under it.
Salt and Pepper Chicken
- In a pan, heat ½ tablespoon of oil and cook the diced onions and jalapenos for about 2-3 minutes on high heat (add extra oil if needed).
- Add in the garlic, white pepper, green onions, and salt.
- Mix quickly and then toss in the fried chicken pieces immediately.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm
A fried chicken dish that is seasoned with heavy pepper and salt.
Corn flour or corn starch is best to achieve a crispy texture.
The fried chicken can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, air fry until heated and then toss with the peppers, onions, and spices.
Chinese salt and pepper chicken is easy to make and delicious when homemade!
It can be made spicy or non-spicy with the addition of fresh chili peppers.
When homemade, it can be! Substitute corn starch for arrowroot flour and fry in avocado oil.
Yes, it is naturally gluten-free and can be made for Celiac diets by using ingredients that are labeled "gluten-free".
Corn oil, peanut oil, or light olive oil work great.