This momos chutney recipe is an Asian inspired spicy momo sauce that pairs well with savory dumplings. Take it a step further and enjoy it with spring rolls, manchow soup, or your favorite fried rice.
All dumplings are incomplete without a spicy sauce in my opinion and something that is homemade with extra spice definitely hits better than just Sriracha, no?
Why you should make it? It comes together in a matter of minutes!
Use a clear shot of the ingredients for this recipe, prepped, and labeled if necessary. Insert the ingredients into the list below, omitting quantities.
- chili onion crunch (found at Trader Joes or Asian Markets) or a substitute
- spicy red chili flakes
- white pepper powder
- toasted sesame oil
- garlic powder
- soy sauce (dark preferred)
- salt (optional)
See recipe card for quantities and additional ingredients.
I want to show you how to make chutney for momos the easy way. It's simple even if you turn it up a notch. Combine all of the ingredients together... THAT'S IT!
Or... you can blend the ingredients in chutney machine for a smoother texture momo sauce. You can add the green onions before or after blending, both taste great!
Serve it with...
- Onion Crunch- Feel free to substitute it with your favorite store bought chili oil. Add dried onions to the mix if you prefer the crunch.
- Dark Soy Sauce- If using low sodium soy sauce, then I recommend increasing the quantity of the soy sauce.
Giving the visitor ideas on how they can change this recipe to better suit their dinner guests, or their cultural cuisine, is a great way to increase the chances they make the recipe
- Spicy - I grind my own spicy peppers to add to this momo chutney recipe.
- Kid friendly - combine soy sauce, sesame oil, and white pepper powder together.
Love spice? Give my garlic chutney with chili oil a try a try!
- Chutney Machine (optional)
- With Green Onions-Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Without Green Onions- Store on the shelf for 2 months.
- Use half chili onion crunch and half chili oil (both store bought) for extra spice and less crunch
- Blend the chutney to a fine paste if you prefer a smooth texture.
Momos Chutney Recipe
- 5 tablespoon chili onion crunch (found at Trader Joes or Asian Markets)
- 1 teaspoon spicy red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon white pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 sprig scallion, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (dark preferred)
- salt (optional)
- Combine the ingredients and set it aside.
- Pour the chutney over momos and enjoy with an extra serving to dip in.
- If you prefer a smooth chutney, then feel free to blend the recipe in a chutney machine.