This Indian Taco Recipe is made with Spiced Keema Chicken
Chicken Keema is a delicious Indian spiced ground meat recipe that comes together to make crispy or soft chicken keema tacos that are packed with flavor and fresh ingredients.
This is my ultimate Indian Taco Tuesday recipe. One that is on repeat month after month. It is perfect to meal prep and tastes great for gatherings!
Love keema? Give my fusion turkey keema a try with naan.
Chicken Keema Ingredients
- ground chicken
- ginger, fresh and grated
- garlic, fresh and minced
- turmeric powder
- coriander powder
- garam masala
- onion, finely chopped, grated, or food processed
- beefsteak tomato, finely chopped
- tomato paste
- red chili powder
- chopped cilantro
Indian Taco Ingredients
- hard taco shells or soft corn tortillas (stone ground corn is my favorite)
- onions, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- jalapeno peppers, chopped
- shredded Mexican cheese
- salsa of choice (optional)
Cook the chicken keema per recipe instructions.
Heat the taco shells and fill them with warm chicken keema + your favorite toppings such as lettuce, cheese, and onions.
Top with cilantro jalapeno sauce, sour cream, or enjoy as is.
- Chicken- ground turkey may be substituted but be sure to use extra oil and water since turkey can be dry.
- Grain Free- Use a shell that is made with cassava flour, almond flour, etc.
- Hard Tacos- use hard corn taco shells or equivalent
- Soft Tacos- use tortillas or roti
More Mexican Inspired Recipes...
One of my favorite Mexican recipe on this site include fusion burritos, but be sure to check these recipes out too!
Top Indian Taco Tips
- Toast hard shells in the air fryer, oven or an open flame to get a crisp taste
- Heat soft corn tortillas in the microwave to get them warm and bendable
- Enjoy with a serving of cilantro jalapeno sauce.
Indian Tacos with Keema Chicken
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh and grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, fresh and minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1-2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 large onion, finely chopped, grated, or food processed
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup water (optional but can help mince the meat better)
- red chili powder
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 12 taco shells, hard or soft
Keema Chicken Instructions
- Heat pan on medium heat and add oil. Once hot add finely chopped onions and saute until golden brown.
- Once the onions have slightly browned add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, garam masala, tomato paste, salt, coriander powder, some chopped cilantro (optional), and turmeric.
- Allow the mixture to cook for about 3-5 minutes. At this point you can use a hand blender and puree the mixture if you would like. Then add the chicken. SIDE NOTE: I like to mix the ground chicken to remove the "stringed" meat look before cooking.
- Using a spatula or a ground meat masher, begin to mash and mix the chicken with the tomato and onion mixture. TIP: flatten/squeeze the meat at the bottom of the pan while mixing if you do not have a meat masher. This will prevent the meat from bulking into large clumps.
- Continue to mix frequently for an additional 7-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Once all of the natural water has evaporated, cook for a few additional minutes so that the oil shines through.
Assemble the Tacos
- 1. Toast the hard taco shells to bring out the crisp flavor by either placing them in an air fryer, toaster, or oven for 2-3 minutes at 350.2. Warm soft corn tortillas in the microwave for 5 seconds per tortilla (timing may vary)
- Add keema to the taco and then top with your favorite ingredients.
- Drizzle jalapeno cilantro sauce (optional) and enjoy!
Yes! Use extra oil or butter and water when substituting with ground turkey.
It will help mince the better if that is the texture you prefer.