Chicken Kheema, an Indian Ground Chicken Recipe
Deliciously spiced Chicken Kheema Recipe made quickly and easily with tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, garam masala, and other pantry essential spices. This Indian kheema recipe pairs well with homemade naan, healthy tortillas, or stuffed in a crispy dosa. It really is the best kheema recipe out there IMO!
Indian Ground Chicken Kheema Recipe
Put this recipe on repeat! You will not regret one bit. In fact, every time you see ground chicken this is the recipe that will come to mind if you are an Indian Food lover with a tasty but health cautious lifestyle!
Growing up, my Dad made lamb and goat kheema often but I always chose the chicken alternative. It was a special dish because ground chicken was not always available where we lived. I remember he bought a meat grinder that affixed to a table top when I was in grade school just to make recipes like this happen. Definitely appreciate his efforts for good food!
Kheema vs Keema
The two words are the same but just spelled differently when translated to the english wording. Many dialects are present throughout India and some have a heavy pronunciation of the “H” where as others do not, amongst other variation of sounds as well. In this case, both are the same which is some form of minced meat.
How to Meal Prep
This chicken kheema recipe is perfect for meal prepping! I can’t stress that enough. It can be used in many different dishes such as keema pav, tacos, minced meat dosa, or my chicken shakshuka recipe which is a must try! The ground chicken kheema lasts in the fridge for a few days, but I am certain you will finish it before it goes bad-trust!
Can I substitute Turkey for Chicken?
You sure can, but there needs to be many changes to the recipe such as fats and water. Since turkey is a lot more dry, the recipe will need extra oils. While I am on this topic, I want to be sure to remain transparent and say that ground chicken tastes better with this recipe.
- fresh tomatoes, chopped
- onions, grated or food processor chopped
- ground chicken
- chicken masala (garam masala)
- tomato paste
- red chili powder
- coriander powder
- turmeric powder
- ginger and garlic
Step by Step Instructions
What to use kheema with
- Healthy Kheema Pizza
- Kheema Samosa stuffed inside your favorite wrapper (or try this for ease)
- Kheema Tacos Pictured Below
Healthy Kheema Tacos
Be sure to try these Indian inspired tacos using my Chicken Kheema recipe. I love to pair it with Siete tortillas because they are very thin and gluten free. They taste great and pair well with this dish. Don’t forget to add extra spice with minced chili peppers. This Indian Chicken Kheema Taco is a great option for meal planning with this recipe.
Indian Chicken Kheema Recipe
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh and grated
- 1 tbsp garlic, fresh and minced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1-2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 large onion, finely chopped, grated, or food processed
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- red chili powder
- chopped cilantro
- Heat pan on medium heat and add oil. Once hot add finely chopped onions and saute until golden brown.
- Once the onions have slightly browned add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, chicken masala, tomato paste, salt, coriander powder, some chopped cilantro (optional), and turmeric.
- Allow the mixture to cook for about 3-5 minutes. At this point you can use a hand blender and puree the mixture if you would like. Then add the chicken. SIDE NOTE: I like to mix the ground chicken to remove the "stringed" meat look before cooking.
- Using a spatula or a ground meat masher to mash and mix the chicken with the mixture. TIP: flatten/squeeze the meat at the bottom of the pan while mixing if you do not have a meat masher. This will prevent the meat from bulking into large clumps.
- Continue to mix frequently for an additional 7-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Once all of the natural water has evaporated cook for a few additional minutes so that the oil shines through.
- Garnish with the rest of the cilantro and serve.
- Happy Eating Folks! <3
- NOTES: You can refrigerate left overs for a few days and use for meal prep.