This… is a comforting ONE POT meal 30 minute meal.
Butter Chicken/Chicken Makhani is THE dish I made most whenever I had friends/family over (you know, back when I had time for get togethers). It is a quick, one pot, satisfying, and most wanted meal by any being I know. Trust me-ITS GOOD! I tend to make large batches and freeze in individual servings for an even quicker meal. Honestly, this is not the healthiest dish I make, but it is down right satisfying!
If you really want to make it healthier then try any of the variations below (vegan, vegetarian, clean eating, etc). Feel free to eliminate the butter all together and replace heavy whipping cream for full-fat coconut milk if you prefer.
Want to go vegan? Add veggies instead of chicken.
- Use vegetables and/or paneer instead of chicken
- Try dark meat instead of white (I prefer white, traditional recipes use dark)
- Use coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream
- Eliminate the butter all together
Step by Step Pictures
Be sure to finely grind the kasoori methi this will help eliminate the large stem pieces.
If you are concerned about mud, dirt, rocks in your product, then I highly suggest washing the product in a large bowl and then filling the bowl with water to the top. Allowing the product to soak in the pool of water will help the sediments settle at the bottom. After a good soak, gently take the kasoori methi from the top of the water without mixing it into the water. Finally grind in a wet/dry blender.
HAPPY EATING FOLKS <3
- 1 lb chicken, cut into small cubes (I prefer tenders or breast, but traditional recipes use dark meat)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 12 oz tomato puree
- 1 tbsp fresh grated garlic
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tbsp butter chicken masala (use more or less depending on spice level preference)
- 1 stick butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup kasoori methi leaves (finely grounded)
- 1 tbsp sugar (more or less-the measurement depends on tomato puree brand)
- 1 tbsp dry coriander powder
- red chili powder
- salt (amount will vary based on salted or unsalted butter usage)
- cilantro for garnishment
Heat a pan on medium heat and add oil + half a stick of butter. Add chopped chicken and 1 tbsp of butter chicken masala. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, dry coriander powder, and red chili powder. Mix and cook for about a minute.
Add tomato puree, heavy whipping cream, additional butter chicken masala, additional butter, sugar, and the kasoori methi.
Cover the pot and simmer on medium high for about 5-7 minutes. Taste check and add salt according to your liking.
Garnish with cilantro. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes (uncovered) before serving.
TIP: the longer it cools the thicker it will get it. This also tastes great the next day and freezes well.
ENJOY! Happy Eating Folks!
- Use more or less heavy cream based on your preference. The color of the curry will vary based on how much you use
- I prefer chicken breast or tenders over dark meat for this recipe.
- Salt should be added at the end according to taste since a few of the ingredients are already salted