This is a No Cream Healthy Chicken Tikka Masala recipe that's quick to make and keto-friendly using Shan Brand Masala.
"You don't make this enough" are the exact words my family says about this recipe! It is not the average chicken tikka masala recipe, but tastes great! Serve it with rice or roti to have dinner ready in under 30 minutes.
Packed with flavor and zero cream! This healthy recipe uses Shan Chicken Tikka Masala which has a unique flavor and gives this gravy a delicious taste.
Want to try something even more delicious? Give my crowd-pleasing World's Easiest and Best Butter Chicken Masala a try!
- Shan Chicken Tikka Masala Box- I recommend using this brand for the sake of consistency but you are welcome to use your favorite.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast or Tenders
- Red Chili Powder- Add for extra spice
- Turmeric Powder
- Coriander Powder
- Cashews- raw and unsalted turned into a paste with some water
- Tomato Paste
- Kasoori Methi (optional)- This is not a traditional ingredient for chicken tikka masala, but it adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
Marinate the chicken using the shan chicken tikka masala package and oil. Cook the chicken in a pan with a generous amount of oil.
Flip the chicken only 2-3 times to get a juicy outcome.
Add the steamed and pureed onions to the pot along with the spices. Simmer until oil begins to come up.
Pair it with
This recipe goes well with Siete Cassava or Almond Flour tortillas. You can also make a variety of healthy tortillas that fit your diet and lifestyle. It also pairs well with Brown or White Rice and Quinoa.
More Healthy Recipes...
- Lamb Chops - A Quick and Easy Fail-Proof Recipe
- How to Grill Juicy Chicken Breast Tex-Mex Style
- Chana Masala
Refrigerate- Store in the refrigerator for up to three days after cooking.
Freeze- The cooked Healthy Chicken Tikka Masala dish can be stored in Ziplock bags and placed in the freezer for up to three months.
Reheat- Thaw and reheat on the stovetop using a heavy bottom pot with a lid on low heat.
- Pair it with a healthy tortilla or brown rice
- Add extra spice and cilantro
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces
Healthy Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 large chicken breasts, chopped into 1" cubes
- 1 large onion, boiled and pureed (instructions below)
- ¼ cup cashews, blended into a paste (instructions below)
- .5-1 package Shan Chicken Tikka Masala Spice Mix (you can use a different brand if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (fresh or powder)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup water (add more or less depending on curry consistency preference)
- 1 teaspoon kasoori methi (optional)
- red chili powder
- salt (optional-TIP:Shaan masala already has salt)
- finely chopped cilantro
- Mix the chicken breast, Shan Chicken Tikka Masala Spice, and oil together and let it sit at room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.
- BOILED AND PUREED Onion - Boil a chopped onion with some water, drain the water, and puree the onion once it is translucent.
- CASHEW PASTE - Blend the cashews into a fine paste. (You can add a little water if needed)
- Heat a pan on high heat and add about 1 tablespoon of oil. Spread the oil across the bottom of the pan to coat.
- Add the chicken to the pan by spreading it throughout the pan so the maximum amount of chicken is touching the hot surface. Feel free to do this in multiple rounds of cooking if the pan you are using is small. This helps brown one side of the meat resulting in very tender pieces.
- Let the chicken cook without stirring for about 3 minutes. Then take a flat spatula and gently flip over.
- Cook for an additional 3 minutes, lower the heat to medium/low, and then stir the chicken.
- Mix in turmeric, cashew paste, onion puree, ginger, and garlic. Add red chili powder and salt after a taste test in the end.
- Mix well.
- Now add water according to your preference on curry consistency. For wraps I use less water and I add more water to eat with rice, but it’s also based on your preference.
- Cover and cook on medium/low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Top with chopped cilantro and serve with your choice of rice, tortilla, naan, bread, paratha, etc.
- Add salt at the very end.
- Check substitution requirements in post above
- Cream is not recommended for this dish
- Pairs well with gluten and grain-free Siete Tortillas
One has a gravy that pairs perfectly with rice and the other can be eaten as an appetizer, topping on pizza/nachos, or wrapped into a burrito/taco/gyro.
This Healthy Chicken Tikka Masala recipe has no added soy, corn, wheat, dairy, or lentil legumes. Making it perfect for clean-eating diets!
For this specific recipe, I like to use Shan Chicken Tikka Masala spice box.
Shan Chicken Tikka Masala Spice Mix already has salt in it. In fact, it is high in sodium. For that reason, I stay away from adding extra salt to this dish.
This recipe is delicious without the additive of cream. I personally do not recommend it.
Paneer, mushrooms, extra firm tofu, mixed vegetables, soy chunks/nuggets, etc.
This recipe dates back to my University of Houston undergrad college days when a friend introduced me to a restaurant in Houston. We would always pick up their Chicken Tikka Masala to go. It had peppers and onions but I eliminated those ingredients in this recipe.
Once I moved back to Arkansas I had to find a way to recreate this dish. I played around with a few different ingredients until this compilation came about.