Crispy Okra Fries Recipe with Oven Roasted and Air Fryer Instructions
These unbelievably delicious roasted okra fries come together in minutes and are very easy to make! With three simple ingredients, fresh okra or frozen okra can be transformed into a healthy side dish, appetizer, or finger food. Taking classic favorites such as fried okra and turning them into healthy recipes makes food guilt free and loveable.
My okra fries recipe is a great way to add vegetables to any diet (especially kids). Not only are they healthy, but they bring a crunch and structure to make them fun to dip. Whether my kids are dipping these vegetable fries in ranch dressing, ketchup, hot sauce, or chutney they are gobbled up within minutes after being taken out of the air fryer.
Crispy Roasted Okra Fries
What are Okra Fries?
The vegetable, okra, is cooked to mimic that of potato french fries. Okra Fries can be crispy and healthy when air fried or oven roasted versus being deep fried. However, all variations are delicious and a family favorite.
What is the best way to cook okra?
Depending on the final dish, okra can be cooked in different ways such as stir fried, air fried, deep fried, or in soups. These variations may also depend on the type of cuisine. Here are a few ways to cook okra for different types of meals.
- Bhindi Masala (okra with spices)
- Okra Sabzi (stir fried okra)
- Gumbo (Soup with rice, vegetables, and okra)
- Batter Fried Okra
Fresh vs Frozen Okra
For this recipe, you can use either variation. They come out just as tasty regardless of the kind used. However, the shape needs to remain the same for the okra fries to mimic long potato fry strands. Prepping the okra is different for both variations, which I have explained below.
How to prep fresh okra
- Wash the okra with cool water
- Dry the okra with a kitchen towel by wiping each okra down. This helps get the dirt and spikes off of the okra very thoroughly
- Trim the ends off of the okra
- Cut the okra long and thin into four slices (like a long potato fry)
- Lay the okra on a towel or tray to air dry while cutting the remaining okra.
How to prep frozen okra
- Do a quick rinse of the frozen okra with cool water in a strainer to remove any ice build up (no need to defrost them, just a very quick rinse)
- Dry the okra with a kitchen towel to the best of your ability by gently squeezing the okra (they should still be frozen)
- Cut the okra long and thin into four slices like a long potato fry (they cut better when slightly frozen).
- Lay the okra on a towel or tray as you cut the okra into thin strips.
Cutting the okra fries
For okra fries, I recommend cutting okra into thin long strips versus round. However, this is a personal preference so please feel free to do what you prefer. Trim the ends and slice each okra into 4 pieces.
Air fry vs Deep Fry Okra
It all comes down to preference. There are many differences when comparing the two. If I was in a hurry or not counting calories, then I would deep fry okra. It is actually how large quantities of bhindi masala for events is made. Deep frying Bhindi Masala/Sabzi keeps the end dish from drying out, taste better, and more appealing to the eye. Additional differences when it comes to air fry vs deep fry…
- air fryer takes about 20 minutes whereas deep fried okra takes 5 minutes
- fresh okra should be used for deep fried okra
- healthy option when air frying vs deep frying
Air Fryer Recommendation
I honestly thought I would have used my air fryer a lot more than I do and am beyond thankful for the one I bought since it does more then just air fry! We, as a family, use the air fryer to heat frozen foods, make a full 12″ pizza in, a family serving of fries, and also toast! It has been a grat investment and one I definitely recommend. Get it here.
How to make Air Fryer Okra Fries
Start with fresh or frozen okra sliced long and thin. A tip from an expert foodie, be sure to make extra, because these will be eaten faster then they are made and… they shrink A LOT!
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400 degrees.
- Coat the okra with some oil using either a drizzle of olive oil, avocado oil, or your everyday cooking oil. I like to use an oil spray like this one when using the air fryer because it spreads the oil evenly and uses a much less quantity.
- Cook the okra for 18-20 minutes tossing them several times along the way.
- Sprinkle the air fried okra fries with salt and/or desired toppings.
Seasonings for Air Fried Okra Fries
I love seasoning and my spice drawer definitely shows that! In fact, I actually eat fries just for seasoning sometimes. I prefer to dip them in cajun seasoning versus ketchup… try it and let me know what you think! My favorite seasonings for fried okra include…
- cajun seasoning (this is my favorite)
- chaat masala
- red chili powder
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- curry powder
What to serve with these vegetable fries?
Stick to the basics when it comes to kids by giving them their favorite sauce. This is my biggest tip when it comes to getting kids to eat more vegetables. I have offered foods that don’t pair well together to my kids, in hopes to have them try different cuisines and to be honest-it has worked! Try ketchup , my tasty and family favorite buttermilk ranch, chutney, or a a curry dip recipe listed below.
Step by Step Process
Crispy Air Fried Okra Fries Recipe
Crispy Air Fried Okra Fries
- Air Fryer
- Oven safe pan
- spatula to mix
- 1 lb okra, trimmed and sliced thin frozen or fresh (see post above)
- red chili powder (optional)
AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim the ends and slice the okra into long strips like potato fries.
- Lay the okra on a towel or tray while prepping the remainder of the okra.
- Lightly coat the okra with oil (avocado, olive oil, or an everyday oil).
- Cook the okra fries for 18-20 minutes. Toss them a few times along the way.
- After they get crispy, remove from the air fryer and top with your favorite seasoning.
- Enjoy warm with your favorite dipping sauce or as is.
OVEN ROASTING INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line an oven save pan with parchment paper.
- Place the trimmed and sliced okra on the parchment paper and spray with oil.
- Gently mix the okra and cook for about 15-20 minutes while tossing a few times in between.
- Remove from the oven and top with salt. Feel free to add any additional seasoning at this point.
- Serve crispy, warm, and with your choice of dipping sauce.
- How to Prep Fresh Okra – Wash with cold water and wipe down each okra with a dry towel. Trim and slice the okra before coating with oil and cooking.
- How to Prep Frozen Okra- NO NEED TO DEFROST! Quickly rinse frozen okra under tap water and pat dry as much as possible. TIP-keep them a bit iced to make cutting easier. Trim and slice the frozen okra into fry like strips.
TCM Easy Garlic Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, grated
- Mix the ingredients together and serve chilled with roasted vegetables.
The inside of the vegetable holds seeds together by a naturally occurring gum that is very healthy to eat and consume. When cooked in a dry form, the slime no longer exists but the fiber still remains.
Roasting, frying, or air frying are the best options to get rid of slime quick. However, when stir frying okra/bhindi use a wide pan and try not to cover during the cooking process.
Although not recommended, they can grow in a pot a season at at time. Aim for an at least 3ft deep pot and replant every year. Be sure to prune the plant so it does not grow too tall to maintain.
Decreases blood sugar levels. Simply slice a fresh okra in half or place a slit in the okra to expose the seeds and inner flesh. Place the okra in a glass full of cold water before going to bed and let it soak overnight. Drink the water in the morning before having anything else.
If you want to deep fry okra, then this recipe can be much quicker. Be sure to use fresh okra versus frozen to avoid splatters. Fresh okra is washed, thoroughly dried, then trimmed and sliced thin. Finally, deep fry for a quick few minutes on medium high heat. Strain, season, and serve the okra.