A family favorite green pizza crust
This delicious vegetable packed green pizza crust is packed with nutrition and flavor. It tastes delicious and requested by my family on pizza night. What's not to love? It's homemade green pizza.
Green Pizza Crust with High Fiber
I have a kid... and a husband... who love pizza! Luckily, the kid loves her vegetables but the husband... not so much. Either way, I am always looking for ways to make meals healthier. This idea seemed to come very easy to me since I add veggies to most of my daughter's meals on a daily basis (i.e. carrot rotli, zucchini rotli, etc). It's almost second nature now... really!
Green Pizza is exactly what we call it
Whether you use kale, spinach, collard greens, or zucchini the addition of veggies gives us a peace of mind.
Spices for pizza dough
- Italian seasoning
- cumin seeds
- red chili powder
- ajwain seeds
Kneading the dough
I hand knead the dough into a very soft texture. Soft enough to stretch with my hands and not have to use a rolling pan. The real authentic way with extra greens! Let the dough rest for about 5-10 minutes and you can begin to make pizza ASAP
Add healthy ingredients
There are many variations that make this green pizza healthy and high fiber pizza. Kick it up a notch like I do by adding all three of these ingredients to the pizza dough.
- flax seeds
- hemp seeds
- chia seeds
Rolling the green dough
When transferring the rolled out pizza dough I find it easier to roll out the dough, then fold it in a triangle, lay it on the pan, and then finally unfold again.
Cooking the fiber rich pizza
Once rolled out (about a quarter of an inch thick), place it on a pizza pan, puncture some holes with a fork or knife, and put the tray in a 375 degree heated oven for 7 minutes. After about 7 minutes remove the pan and add your toppings. Broil on low for about 5-7 minutes, remove from the oven and let it cool for about a minute, and enjoy!
What are your favorite toppings?
- bell peppers (capsicum)
- onions (all varieties)
- fresh garlic
- ... the list is endless
Green Pizza Crust
- ¼ cup Bisquick (or anything similar)
- ¾ cup 00 flour
- ¼ cup warm and pureed, green leaf vegetable (spinach, kale, etc)
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon blended flax seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon blended chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon blended hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- red chili powder (optional)
- ajwain seeds (optional)
- all purpose flour for dusting ONLY
- pizza sauce
- toppings of choice
- dried oregano
Knead the Dough
- Combine all of the ingredients for pizza dough and knead it into a soft dough.
- Dust more all purpose flour over the dough and then cover with a damp paper/kitchen towel.
- Let it sit in warm place for about 10 minutes.
Roll Out the Pizza
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dust a surface with all purpose flour and roll out the dough into ¼" thick pizza crust. (I like mine thin and crispy)
- Lay the crust on a pizza pan, puncture holes with a fork, knife, or meat tenderizer to prevent rising, and bake for 5-7 minutes (will be based on thickness)
- Remove the pizza from the oven.
- Switch oven to Broil Mode.
- Layer with pizza sauce, cheese, a sprinkle of oregano, and your favorite toppings.
- Cook for an additional 7 minutes on (until cheese starts to brown a little).
- Wait a few minutes before cutting with a pizza cutter. This will help prevent the cheese from sliding off.
- ENJOY! <3