A Crowd-Pleasing Bread Dipping Oil Recipe made with Herbs
Fresh herbs are combined with tasty extra virgin olive oil to make a bread dipping oil that is delicious and irresistible. This oil dip is quick and easy to make which is perfect for fresh bread, crostini, or soft pita bread.
This is an herb oil recipe to keep on repeat for appetizers and gatherings.
With this recipe, a quick appetizer or meal is at your fingertips. So, be sure to grab these herbs on your next grocery trip (or your backyard).
- rosemary leaves, fresh
- grated garlic, fresh
- chopped basil, fresh
- chopped oregano leaves, fresh
- coarse salt
- coarse black pepper (or rainbow peppercorn for better flavor and color)
- parsley leaves, fresh
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- a whole lot of good tasting extra virgin olive oil such as burroughs farms, lucini, etc.
Combine the ingredients and pour your favorite Extra Virgin Olive oil over it.
How to use Herbed Dipping Oil
- Dip in it with soft bread or pita bread
- Marinate with it (works great with shrimp)
- Freeze it for future use and gatherings
Olive Oil Recommendations
- Burroughs Farm. They sell a very tasty 100% organic virgin olive oil that is drool worthy delicious!
- Lucini Olive Oil
- Trader Joe's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Dried vs Fresh Herbs
I highly recommend using fresh herbs for this recipe. Yes, it is convenient to use dried herbs but fresh has a great flavor. However, if you do not have a few of them in a fresh variety, then feel free to substitute.
- french baguette
- pumpernickle bread
- artisan bread
Other Italian Recipes
Love Italian recipes? Then give my Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe a try! It is restaurant quality without the price and results in happy kids and family.
Bread Dipping Oil with Fresh Herbs
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh and leaves only
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh and leaves only
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh and leaves only
- ½ tablespoon basil, fresh and leaves only
- 2 cloves garlic, fresh
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground (use rainbow peppercorn for better flavor and color)
- ½ teaspoon salt, coarse/kosher
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- red pepper flakes
- Combine all of the herbs and mince them very finely with a large knife.
- Place the herbs in a wide bowl or plate and combine the additional ingredients.
- Add the oil and enjoy with warm bread.
How this oil recipe came about
My history with this herbed oil dates back to South America! I visited both Argentina and Chile for 3 weeks and became obsessed with a similar dip. This was a go-to oil dip there and I missed it once I returned. Although it is not fully Italian, the herbs mimic the flavor.
Leave a Reply