A homemade Taco Bell crunchwrap supreme recipe with Doritos
If you love tacos and tostadas, then you need to try this! The combination of fresh ingredients, crispy corn tostada, Nacho Cheese Doritos, and sour cream make this Taco Bell crunchwrap supreme recipe vegetarian and kid friendly!
Thank you Taco Bell for the recipe inspiration!
Want to add meat to this recipe? Try it with my Indian Chicken Kheema Recipe. It's really good!
Why You'll Love It
Because it's better than the original version! There, I said it :). I love Taco Bell, like most of you, and any homemade version of their recipe is a winner dinner for the whole family.
Plus, these Taco Bell crunchwraps can be made with a lower sodium level at home.
- Knife to cut the ingredients
- Pizza Cutter, incase you want to cut the homemade crunchwrap supreme in half
- Skillet big enough to fit a flour tortilla
- Spatula for flipping
- Cutting Board
- Spoon for scooping and spreading
- Toaster, Air Fryer, or Open Flame to heat tostadas
- Microwave or open flame to heat a flour tortilla (can use skillet too).
- Air Fryer in lieu of grilling the crunchwrap on a skillet
- Crispy Corn Tostada - I prefer either Old el Paso or Ortega brand but any other variation that is thin and crispy works. Check the Mexican food's aisle at your local grocery store.
- Large Flour Tortillas - Cut half of them into smaller rounds that are larger than the tostada shell but smaller than the original flour tortilla size.
- Mexican Refried Beans (or taco meat) - flavored to your liking (I use these black beans and blend it with fresh green chillies, garlic, salt, and this McCormick Brand enchilada seasoning)
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Mexican Blend of Cheese
- Taco Bell Ranchero Sauce (optional)
- Taco Bell Hot Sauce
- Nacho Doritos - tortilla chips
- Cooking Oil
- Diced Tomatoes
- Shredded Lettuce - romaine or iceberg preferred
- Diced Onions - red, yellow, white, or sweet
- Jalapeno, serrano, or Thai chili - chopped finely
- Diced Bell Pepper - green preffered but can use any variation
- Cilantro- chopped optional
- Nacho Cheese Sauce (optional)- I personally only like the Tostitos Nacho Cheese but do not use it for this recipe because shredded Mexican cheese does the trick.
- Warm a large flour tortilla (I use the microwave) until it is bendable. You can also use an open medium flame to heat the tortilla.
- Spread a thin layer of beans in the center of the large flour tortilla.
- Add chopped vegetables, sour cream, sauces, crushed Nacho Doritos, shredded Mexican cheese, and then the crispy toasted corn tostada.
- Now add a smaller flour tortilla over the crispy tostada.
- Gently fold the edges of the flour tortilla over the tostada.
- Hold your hand on the crunchwrap and then place it seem side down in a pre-heated hot skillet.
- Push it down and rotate a few times in circles so the form of the crunchwrap supreme remains in place.
- After a minute, (do not flip yet), add some oil to the skillet and rotate the crunchwrap in circles to incorporate the oil on the flour tortilla. At this point you can turn the flame down for the skillet over medium heat.
- Now flip the crunchwrap supreme over and cook for about 10-15 seconds (enough to get the flour tortilla to a golden brown color).
- Alternatively, the crunchwrap supremes can be air fried at 350 degrees.
Step by Step Pictures
Planning Ahead and Storage
Unfortunately, these Taco Bell inspired vegetarian crunchwrap supremes do not store well when pre-made. However, you can plan ahead! Prep all of the ingredients ahead of time then lay out an assembly line that works best for you. Cook the crunchwraps right before eating to keep the tostada and Doritos crispy.
- Toast the tostada shells right before using so it remains crispy inside of the crunchwrap. You can toast them in a toaster, over an open flame, or in an air fryer.
- Use a thin spread of beans.
- Cook the crunchwrap seam side down for about 1 minute before adding any oil.
- Non-Veg Option - Use any variation of taco meat with a protein (ground beef, chicken, tofu, etc) instead of the refried beans. Pre-cooked grilled chicken breast works great! Try Trader Joe's pre-cooked chicken or check the freezer aisle for frozen pre-cooked chicken.
- Gluten Free Option - swap the flour tortilla for almond flour tortilla when making this vegetarian crunchwrap. Also, try to skip the oil because almond flour tortillas generally have enough to crispen.
Pairs Well With...
Mexican Rice- for a complete meal!
Salad with Chipotle Ranch Dressing
Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme (copycat)
- Spatula for flipping
- Pan/Skillet big enough to fit tortilla
- Spoon for spreading and scooping
- Knife to cut ingredients
- Pizza Cutter optional
- Toaster, open flame, or air fryer to toast the tostada
- Microwave, pan, or an open flame to heat a flour tortilla
- Air Fryer, in lieu of cooking on a stove top
- 8 flour tortillas, 4 cut into smaller rounds that are slightly larger than the crispy tostada
- 12 oz refried beans flavored to your liking, see note 1 for my recipe
- 4-8 tablespoon sour cream (more for dipping)
- 1 oz Nacho Cheese Doritos, crushed
- ¾ cup lettuce, shredded or chopped finely
- ¼ cup bell pepper, diced finely (any color)
- ¼ cup onion, red or white diced finely
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced finely
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 4 crispy tostada, lightly toasted or roasted, (Ortega or Old el Paso brand)
- cilantro, chopped optional
- fresh sliced chili pepper (jalapeno, serrano, or thai chili depending on your spice tolerance)
- Taco Bell Hot Sauce (or equivalent)
- Taco Bell Ranchero Sauce optional
- nacho cheese, Tostitos brand optional
- cooking oil
Making the Crunchwrap Supremes (Stove Top)
- Heat a large flour tortilla in the microwave, until soft and bendable (about 10 seconds)
- Spread beans in the center of the flour tortilla.
- Add lettuce, crushed Doritos, shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, bell peppers, chili peppers, onions, cilantro, and ranchero sauce.
- Top it with a toasted corn tostada (be sure the tostada is cool to touch before adding).
- Heat a skillet pan on high/medium heat.
- Place a smaller flour tortilla over the tostada.
- Fold the edges of the flour tortilla over the flour tortilla using the corn tostada as an edge. Hold the crunchwrap in place with your hand (pictures above)
- TIP: If making multiple crunchwrap at a time, feel free to use a toothpick to secure the edges.
- Transfer the crunchwrap seam side down into the hot skillet and gently turn into circles.
- Cook for about a minute, and then add a teaspoon of oil. Cook for 10 seconds on the same side.
- Now, flip the crunchwrap over and cook for about 10 seconds on this side to prevent burning.
- Cut in half with a pizza cutter (optional).
- Serve with extra sour cream, guacamole, and Taco Bell Hot Sauce.
Air Fryer Instructions
- After making the crunchwrap supremes, brush or spray them with some cooking oil.
- Transfer the crunchwrap supreme to the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 350 degrees until golden brown.
I've always preferred Azteca, but any thin variation will work.
Cooked whole beans that are smashed and then tempered with flavor. Check for my recipe in the Notes section of this recipe.
Bean burrito with sour cream, chalupa supreme with beans, and cheesy potatoes.
I would serve it on top with an extra slather of sour cream.
It tastes much better!
It can be, when homemade. Be sure to use ingredients that meet your dietary needs such as gluten free, dairy free, etc.
Yes! Once you have made it, brush or spray it with some oil. Then, transfer it to the air fryer basket for just a few minutes at 350 degrees. Low temp does the trick!
📚 Related Recipes
Love Mexican food? Give these Curry Mommy recipes a try!