This creamy pasta dish is not only quick but also a family-friendly meal. Typically this chicken spaghetti dish is eaten with a noodle like pasta, However, you can alter it with any pasta you have hanging out in your pantry.
This particular recipe dates back to my middle school days! We helped make this dish in Home Economics. Does that class still exist? Not sure if I dated myself, but either way, this was a great learn if you ask me!
Rotisserie chicken is a great addition to this dish. It is stress free, pre-cooked, and can be bought a couple of days ahead of time. Meaning, this recipe is a great one to pull together with some left overs! I would recommend any variation of pre-cooked chicken to speed up the process. In another case, if you want to make it a more formal dinner then opt to make grilled chicken breast to add to the meal. Happy date night!
If you want to make this dish vegetarian, substitute cream of chicken for cream of mushroom and replace chicken with beans.
I highly recommend using spaghetti for this dish but any other form of noodle will also work. I have made it with macaroni and bowtie before which turned out great as well. So, if you’re not in a mood to “slurp” try a smaller variation of pasta
Gluten Free? Try using brown rice pasta. It is actually my favorite guilt-free variation of pasta for all dishes.
Want to kick it up a notch with some spice? Try adding red chili powder and Trader Joe’s Garlic Spread. Packed with all the flavor and no dairy!
Cheese is optional in this recipe
Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
- 8 oz spaghetti, angel hair pasta, fettucini, etc
- 2 cups cooked and finely chopped chicken
- 2 can cream of chicken soup (more or less depending on how saucy you want the spaghetti)
- 1-2 tbsp your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 cup your favorite salsa
- 1 cup Trader Joe's garlic spread (or 2 cloves of garlic)
- 1 cup water (pasta water for thicker consistency)
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 4 sprigs green onion
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- ½ cup shredded cheese (optional)
- red chili powder
- Cook the pasta according to packaged instructions.
- In a pan, add some oil and cook the diced chicken. This step will help remove any "chicken" flavor if the meat is cold.
- Add salsa, cream of chicken, garlic, taco seasoning, and red chili powder to the chicken and mix well.
- NOTE: Stop here and add cilantro + green onion for a flavorful dip
- Add the pasta AND the pasta water to the pot. Combine well and let it cook for a few extra minutes on medium-low heat.
- Taste test and add salt accordingly.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the cheese (optional).
- Top with green onions and cilantro.