Homemade Stuffed Masala Hot Dogs, an Indian Hot Dog Recipe
A delicious Indian inspired bharwa masala hot dogs recipe that is perfect for gatherings or appetizers. They come together in minutes and pair great with cocktails, mocktails, or a simple soda.
Why stuff them? The masala inside of the hot dogs tastes better because it does not get in the way of browning the outer sides. Give it a try 🙂
Masala Stuffed Hot Dogs
Why You'll Love them
- Not as complex to make as they may look
- Can be made with tools you most likely already have in your kitchen
- Perfect for gatherings or a spicy snack
- fresh ginger
- cilantro, stems and leaves
- fresh garlic
- serrano chili pepper (thai chili or jalapeno will also work)
- lemon juice (optional)
- hot dogs
- Blend the ingredients for the hot masala chutney together
- Set it aside and prep the hot dogs by puncturing a hole with a metal straw. Make multiple holes for more masala if you prefer.
Stuff the masala inside of the syringe and then squeeze it into the hole.
Cook the hot dogs either sliced or whole until golden brown on the outside.
Video instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
- Vegetarian-Use your favorite vegetarian hot dogs.
- Spicy- Thai chilis are a great addition to add to the stuffing.
A light and cold beverage works well with this stuffed masala Indian appetizer. Alcoholic beverages can include a Moscow Mule, White Sangria, Riesling Wine, or a light beer. Mocktails can include anything light and refreshing including a soda such as Pepsi, Sprite, Coca Cola, or sparkling water.
- Feel free to stuff them with your favorite hot masala. My personal favorite is a combination of herbs and spices, but you can also use a spicy red masala
- Cook them until brown on the outsides.
- If making these for a large gathering, then saute or grill the masala hot dogs whole and then cut them after browned
- Pair it with my favorite Maggie Masala Sauce
Stuffed Masala Hot Dogs
- 1 metal straw
- 1 large medicine syringe with the tip cut off
- pan to stir fry in
- 1 small teaspoon
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 serrano pepper (use a different variation if you want it spicier)
- 1 clove garlic (yes, only 1)
- ¼ thumb sized ginger
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp oil
- salt (I add ½ tsp)
- Blend the ginger, chili pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt, and oil together.
- Fill the syringe with the blended spices and herbs
- Place the metal straw through a hot dog from one end to the other. You can make the hole bigger by doing it a few times.
- Insert the spices and herb mix from one end of the hot dog until it is full.
- Place aside and finish the remaining hot dogs.
- Cut the hot dogs to a preferred size (optional).
- Heat a pan on medium high and stir fry the cut hot dogs until golden brown.
I prefer to use an organic chicken or turkey variation, but any kind of hot dog your family or diet needs will work great!
This recipe works great for vegetarian hot masala dogs. Simply stuff the inside of the dogs the same way and cook.