The Best Mac and Cheese Recipe Without the Work!
Golden brown bread crumbs topped on pasta mixed with a sharp cheddar and cream cheese sauce make this the best restaurant style macaroni and cheese recipe. This homemade mac and cheese can be served as a main dish or a side dish with the addition of healthy veggies. Win win, right?
MACARONI AND CHEESE
Gourmet Mac and Cheese doesn’t have to be made from scratch. A few additions and tips will have you eating a creamy and delicious bowl of cheesy pasta that you won’t want to share. With ingredients like spinach, cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, and bread crumbs, this can be an all-in-one meal. Mac and Cheese recipes are a kid friendly and an every adult comfort food, right? Plus, when it’s easy to make who says it can’t be replaced with a meal.
What kind of pasta to use for homemade macaroni and cheese?
Macaroni for one is a great choice as the dish suggests. My second favorite for macaroni recipes include shell pasta. Other options can be bow tie pasta and cavatappi.
THIS DELIGHT IS FAMILY APPROVED
What ingredients do I need for restaurant style mac and cheese?
- 1 box of boxed macaroni and cheese (Kraft, Velveeta, Annie’s, etc)
- Cream cheese (as much or little as you like)
- Handful of finely chopped spinach
- 4 tbsp Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Diced jalapeños-optional (pre-cooked or canned)
- Splash of milk-optional (for consistency)
Recommended boxed macaroni and cheese brands
- Annie’s Organic White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Organics Mac and Cheese
- Velveeta Mac and Cheese
How to make restaurant style mac and cheese
- Make the Mac and cheese according to the boxed instructions.
- Keep the heat on low for the pot and add the finely chopped spinach.
- Add the chunks of cream cheese (cut it off of the block or spoon it out of a container. You want to have chunks and not blend it in)
- Add the jalapeños and milk
- Then mix gently so the cream cheese does not break. The spinach will begin to wilt bc the macaroni and cheese should still be hot.
- Place the Mac and Cheese in an oven safe pan.
- Now you can make the bread crumbs.
- Heat a small pot and add butter to it. Let it melt and add the Panko bread crumbs
- Brown the crumbs slightly.
- Spread it over the Mac and cheese
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 5 minute. The bread crumbs can brown easily so keep an eye on it.
Tips to make the best restaurant style macaroni and cheese
- If you pre-make this dish, then cover the pan with foil and bake for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven and then uncover and bake for 2-3 minutes. Or you can microwave it before placing it in the oven.
- You can use any pre-packaged Mac and Cheese for this recipe. I love Velveeta brand or Annie’s white cheddar shells
- Chop the spinach very finely so it wilts during the mixing process.
Interested in different Macaroni and Cheese Recipes?
Check out these cheesy pasta recipes of mine…
The Best Restaurant Style Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
A gourmet mac and cheese recipe that takes less than 30 minutes to make. Soft pasta, crunchy panko, and creamy cheese combined to give you the ultimate satisfying dish.
- 1 box macaroni and cheese (Kraft, Velveeta, Annie's, etc)
- 4 oz cream cheese (more or less)
- handful spinach, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
- splash milk
- diced jalapeno (optional)
Heat a small pan with butter on medium heat.
Once the butter is melted add the Panko Bread Crumbs.
Cook for about a minute until very lightly browned and remove from the heat.
Prepare the mac and cheese according to the boxed instructions
Once done, keep the mac and cheese pot on low and add finely chopped spinach to it.
Add chunks of cream cheese. TIP: cut it off of the block or spoon it out of a container. You want to have chunks and not blend into the sauce.
Add jalapenos and a splash of milk.
Mix gently so the cream cheese does not begin to melt in the warm pot. The spinach will begin to wilt at this point.
Place mac and cheese in an oven safe pan.
Pour the breadcrumbs over the macaroni and cheese and spread evenly across the top.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 3-5 minutes. The bread crumbs can brown quick, so it's best to keep an eye on it.