A Unique Mexican Mac and Cheese Recipe
Homemade cheddar cheese sauce mixed with pasta that is cooked in broth, rotel, and pantry essential spices. This Mexican Mac and Cheese dinner recipe is a family favorite that can be paired with a side or act as a side. No judgement! It is family friendly and delicious on many levels.
Mexican Mac and Cheese
Make this today or for a family gathering. It is a flavor packed recipe that is sure to please your loved ones and yourself, especially if Mexican Cuisine is favored. Be sure to read the instructions on how to make the recipe to assure it is made in the unique way I list.
How this recipe came about
I think this vegetarian recipe is long overdue, but definitely worth the wait. To say the least, it is a branch off of my favorite cheeseburger macaroni recipe (minus the burger). It holds true to the flavors and obviously a complete meal because Mac and Cheese can replace anything. Am I right or am I right? On top of that.... cheat days are allowed to happen with recipes like this.
What type of pasta to use
Traditionally macaroni and cheese uses elbow pasta which works well for this dish. There is no particular pasta I recommend, but here a few suggestions...
Fusion Italian Mexican Recipes
I love mixing Italian and Mexican flavors together. The best part about living in a melting pot is to enjoy the flavors for what they are and still being able to mix them together to get unique dishes. If you love fusion recipes, then check out my other favorites.
What Ingredients are needed?
- cheddar cheese
- black pepper
- red chili powder
- taco seasoning
- all purpose flour
Mexican Mac and Cheese Recipe
Mexican Mac n Cheese
CHEESE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup cheese (mexican blend and/or cheddar)
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese (optional)
- black pepper (optional)
- 4 cups diced, bell peppers and onions
- 10oz can rotel
- 1 package McCormick taco seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked pasta of choice
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 3 cloves grated fresh garlic
- red chili powder
CHEESE SAUCE METHOD
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat and add the butter to it. After it melts, add the all-purpose flour and whisk until golden brown.
- Once the flour cooks through, add the black pepper + milk and continue to whisk until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the cheese. Continue to whisk until the cheese is completely melted. Set it aside once melted.
- Heat a pan on medium high and add some oil. Once hot, add the onions and bell peppers. Cook until translucent.
- Add taco seasoning, garlic, rotel, and red chili powder. Then mix it well.
- Add the pasta and vegetable broth to the pot. Let it simmer on medium low for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can make the cheese sauce.
- Once the pasta is fully cooked and the water has evaporated, stir in the cheese sauce.
- Mix and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes on low heat.
- EAT :).
Make it healthier
A few ways to change up this recipe and make it healthier
- Use your favorite whole grain, brown rice, lentil, etc pasta.
- Incorporate other vegetables such as zucchini.
- Limit the amount of sodium by using water instead of broth.