Masala Rice Recipe that is quick and tasty!
A family-friendly Instant Pot Indian Masala Rice Recipe that is quick to cook using everyday ingredients. Fragrant basmati rice paired with garam masala powder, ginger, garlic, and cumin powder make this a delicious side. Pair it with grilled vegetables, chicken, or lamb for a winner dinner.
Instant Pot Masala Rice
How this recipe came about
This 4 Minute Instant Pot Masala Rice is a lightly flavored, cooked to perfection, and considered a very versatile side dish. I went to a children’s birthday party a few years back where the menu had a similar masala rice, lamb kofta, and a raita. Yes, a kid’s birthday party! My daughter couldn’t get enough of the rice and raita, which made me come home to find a way to recreate the dish. The flavors in this dish are subtle but present, which make it tasty enough to pair with many dishes. I always serve it with my easy to make Lamb Chops.
- Basmati Rice
- Garam Masala
- Slivered Almonds
- Cumin Powder
- Fresh Dill
What does masala rice pair well with?
We enjoy this dish with a variety of meals. It goes well with Indian flavored proteins and veggies, Mediterranean Main Courses, and even Rotisserie Chicken. Masala Rice is a go-to dish for us for practically all things, but check out these recipes for more ideas.
What kind of rice to use
I highly recommend using Basmati Rice for this recipe. The timing to cook the 4 Minute Masala Rice is accurate enough for this specific rice. When altered, the measurements and time can change. For that reason, I recommend sticking with Basmati Rice. I purchase Basmati Rice at Indian Grocery Stores whenever possible, but Trader Joe’s has an excellent variation as well. If neither of these are an option at the given moment, then you can order here as well.
A kid friendly Indian Food Recipe
The flavors of this dish are subtle enough for a toddler to enjoy. I can’t stress how much my kids love this masala rice side dish and hope your family does too. Want to make it a bit healthier, try adding quinoa instead of rice. The cooking time and measurements remains the same.
4 Minute Masala Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed and drained (you can also mix quinoa)
- 1¼ cup broth of choice
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds (optional)
- 2 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp chopped, fresh dill for garnishing (optional)
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
- pinch garam masala
- salt (amount based on broth type)
- Place all of the ingredients in an Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and set the vent to sealing so that no air will release during the cooking process.
- Set Instant Pot to manual, 4 minutes, and high pressure.
- Let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally. Once the valve drops, open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. The texture of the rice should have a bite to it versus "mushy".½
- Garnish with chopped fresh dill (optional)
MORE MEAL IDEAS
If you make this or any of my recipes, let me know! I love hearing from you. Contact me via email, or DM on Instagram and Facebook.