Looking for an easy flavorful rice dish that requires little effort? Then give this "dump and go" family-friendly Indian Masala Rice recipe a try! Pantry essential ingredients are cooked in an Instant Pot for a fragrant side dish.
A quick side that goes well with practically anything. Make it for dinner, a large gathering, or meal prep for the week.
- Basmati Rice
- Garam Masala
- Slivered Almonds
- Broth or bouillon
- Cumin Powder
- Fresh Dill (optional)
see recipe card for measurements
Put all of the ingredients in an Instant Pot, set it, and forget it. That's it, for this Indian Masala Rice Recipe.
- Instant Pot
- Cutting Board and Knife
- Fork for fluff and mixing
- Basmati Rice- feel free to use quinoa. No additional changes are required just a 1:1 substitution.
- Broth- Use bouillon cube + water
- Spice- remove any spice to make this recipe more kid friendly
Refrigerate for a few days after cooking. This recipe works well for meal prepping or planning ahead for parties.
- Add the measured amount of oil for loose al-dente grains of rice
- Fluff after it is finished cooking
Really Easy Instant Pot Masala Rice
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed and drained (you can also mix quinoa)
- 1¼ cup broth of choice
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoon slivered almonds (optional)
- 2 tablespoon raisins (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chopped, fresh dill for garnishing (optional)
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
- pinch garam masala
- salt (amount based on broth type)
- Place all of the ingredients in an Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and set the vent to sealing so that no air will release during the cooking process.
- Set Instant Pot to manual, 4 minutes, and high pressure.
- Let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally. Once the valve drops, open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. The texture of the rice should have a bite to it versus "mushy".
- Garnish with chopped fresh dill (optional)
Lamb Chops, Grilled Chicken, Paneer Tikka, etc.
In an Instant Pot anywhere from 4-6 minutes with 1:1 water to rice ratio.