Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal in an Instant Pot
Cook a hot breakfast while you sleep with this overnight Instant Pot steel cut oatmeal recipe. A high fiber and vegan breakfast mixed with your favorite fresh fruit, nuts, and almond milk. This gluten free overnight oatmeal recipe cooks within minutes. A hot breakfast that can be ready before you wake up!
Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal
Imagine having a bowl of hot oatmeal waiting for you as soon as you wake up! It's possible with this tasty hot overnight oatmeal recipe
This easy and foolproof oatmeal recipe is going to change the way your mornings start for the better.Jump to Recipe
Why steel cut oats versus rolled or instant oats?
In short, they are less processed. Basically the oats are cut off of the plant, dried, and packaged. Rolled Oats go through an extra process of being flattened, and Instant Oats are additionally steamed and packaged thereafter. The processing (or lack thereof) involved with steel-cut oats is the reason they take much longer to cook.
Can I use Steel Cut Oats for an Overnight Recipe?
Yes, you can! When you make them in an Instant Pot with a delayed timer it is possible. Simple place the ingredients in an Instant Pot and set a delayed timer. I love overnight steel cut oats because of the texture it creates when soaked + cooked. If you want your Oatmeal ready at 630am, then set the timer for 6am or earlier.
Why is oatmeal good for you?
- helps with milk production for breastfeeding moms
- easy to make and take to go
- hot breakfast without morning "cooking"
- high in fiber and low in saturated fat
- toddler and kid approved
Should I cook oatmeal with milk or water?
This is a preference based on your likings. I love using almond milk for my Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats, but you can also use water. Since I leave the milk in the Instant Pot overnight, I prefer to get the cooking process started no later than 5-6 years after prepping it. If you plan on eating later than that, then I suggest using water and topping it with your favorite milk.
When is the best time to eat oatmeal?
The norm is to eat oatmeal for breakfast. I love having a bowl of oatmeal right before working out. Since it has a slow release carb, oatmeal gives me enough endurance to run longer. For that reason I recommend eating a big bowl of oatmeal before having a long cardio workout; especially marathons!
Other Breakfast Recipes
If you want to have some spice, then I recommend making a pot of Pasta Bataka. I love using brown rice pasta, but you can also use regular pasta which tastes much better. Pasta Potato is a childhood favorite recipe that includes stir fried spices, potatoes, and pasta. It is served hot with a squeeze of lemon.
My favorite version of brown rice pasta is from Trader Joe's, but you can also use any other brand you like.
Use modern-day gadgets with programming abilities to help prep and cook meals like this overnight steel cut oatmeal recipe. It will help you eat healthier, save time, and be able to enjoy moments with your loved ones.
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal
- ¼ cup steel cut oats (washing is optional)
- 1 cup almond milk (sweetened or unsweetened depending on your sweet tooth) or water
- 1 medjool date, fresh and blended into a paste or 1 teaspoon of Just Date Syrup (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS YOU CAN ADD BEFORE COOKING
- 1 tablespoon dried blueberries or cranberries
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
- 1 tablespoon almonds
- 2 tablespoon diced apples or pears
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
OATMEAL TOPPINGS YOU CAN ADD AFTER COOKING
- shredded coconut
- fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries...)
- chopped banana
- extra cinnamon
- Combine "basic ingredients" listed above into the Instant Pot insert. SIDE NOTE: I recommend making 2-3 servings if cooking directly in the instant pot.
- Close the lid, set the Instant Pot to 10 minutes high pressure, and set the vent to sealing (no air is released during cooking process).
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release air and cool down before opening.
- Enjoy as is or with your favorite toppings.
INSTANT POT, POT-IN-POT METHOD
- Place the Instant Pot trivet inside the main pot.
- Pour water into the Instant Pot just until it almost reaches the trivet. Be careful not to put more water than the trivet's height.
- Place basic ingredients in a container(s) of your choice. TIP: You can use anything oven safe in the IP. I use metal tiffin containers or pyrex glassware.
- Put the container inside your Instant Pot on top of the trivet.
- Close the lid and set the valve to sealing. Hence, no air should release during the cooking phase.
- Close the lid and set to 10 minutes high pressure. Let the Instant Pot cool down and naturally release air before opening.
- Enjoy as is or with your favorite toppings.
HOW TO COOK WHILE YOU SLEEP (DELAYED TIMER)
- Set Instant Pot to 10 minutes and high pressure once the ingredients have been placed in the pot, then press the timer button and program according to how many hours from that moment you want it to start cooking. NOTE: If you want to eat (or take the oatmeal with you) at 7am you can start the cooking at 6am or even earlier since the oatmeal will remain warm. Cooling process takes about 15 minutes or more depending on quantity.SAFETY: Be sure to set the Instant Pot away from any other objects. Hence, there should be no cabinets above the Instant Pot where the released steam could potentially harm your kitchen with steam.Follow me on Instagram for updated posts and videos @thecurrymommy
Instant Pot-Delayed Timer
This method of cooking is about to make you feel like a superhero. Magic is real folks.
WHO HAS TIME TO SIT THERE AND PATIENTLY STIR A POT EVERY MORNING?
So here's the deal... For this oatmeal recipe you need an Instant Pot. PERIOD. I set it up after my evening kitchen clean up and then turn on the timer right before going to bed. Start with my BASIC OATMEAL RECIPE (above), top it with additional ingredients, and then venture out to other favorites.
Do you have a stainless steel tiffin hanging out in your pantry or storage somewhere? Pull it out and start using them in your Instant Pot. Folks, they're making a comeback! I asked my mom for her tiffins and she happily gave them to me with a confused look on her face-haha. Honestly she thought I was crazy, but now she wants them back because of my hack and I'm not sharing!
They are perfect for the INSTANT POT Pot-In-Pot method. I use them ALL THE TIME for various different things. For this recipe, I make two batches of oatmeal, one for my husband and one for me (the kids just eat out of ours usually).
Use tiffin containers to customize
Pot-in-Pot Instant Pot Cooking
Topping Options for Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal
This recipe is great for large gatherings. Simply make a batch int he instant pot and organize a self serve station with scrumptious topping. It's healthy, delicious, and filling! Perfect for busy mornings, Christmas, Thanksgiving Day, New Years Eve, or Marathon Morning.
HAPPY EATING, FOLKS!