Vagharela Indian pasta recipe that mimics bataka pauva - pasta e patate (pasta with potatoes)
This vagaherla pasta recipe is a delicious childhood favorite of mine. It is a perfect Indian breakfast for a Sunday morning. Cooked pasta is tossed with flavors of bataka pauva and topped with raw chopped onions, cilantro and lemon juice. Pair this pasta with potatoes recipe with a cup of hot chai or milk coffee!
Pasta with Potatoes aka Pasta e Patate
This is a variation of a popular Indian Dish known as Bataka Pauva or Pauva Bataka (can be said either way). Poha is flattened rice, which is used in various different recipes. Bataka Pauva being a popular one. As a kid my family called this recipe Macaroni Bataka, Vaghareli Macaroni, or Indian Style Macaroni.
Growing up my aunt made this Indian style macaroni, pasta e patate, recipe often which is where I first learned about it. I was about 6 years old and she made the recipe for my cousins and I. At first, I was confused but then the chewy texture of pasta won me over with the extra spice. Whether your little one likes spicy foods or not, this dish is a great Indian Italian fusion dish!
Love Fusion Recipes?
You must give these a try!
Gluten Free Pasta for Indian Recipes
There are plenty of other variation of pastas out there, but if you really do not want to use regular durum wheat semolina pasta, then try brown rice pasta. It is my go-to variation and has always done well in this dish.
How to make traditional Pauva Bataka
Want to go traditional and not make pasta with potatoes? No problem! Substitute equal parts thick poha instead of pasta. Be sure to wash the thick poha well. Set it aside while the potatoes and spices cook. You can purchase poha here.
- poha or pasta
- potatoes, skinned and peeled
- cumin seeds
- lemon juice
- curry leaves
- red chili powder
- green chilies
- sesame seeds
- golden raisins
- curry leaves
- Cook the pasta in salted water with oil (in this recipe I recommend using oil when boiling pasta)
- In a wide pan saute cumin seeds, curry leaves, hing, green chili peppers, and potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the pasta to the pan
- Mix and add the crushed peanuts, turmeric, chili powder, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, and other spices.
- Mix and cook on low heat while covered.
- Serve hot with raw onions on top, fresh cilantro leaves and stems, and squeeze of lemon juice.
Step by Step Pictures
Vagharela Pasta (pasta with potato) Pasta e Patate
- 16 oz package of pasta, cooked drained and rinsed
- 2 cups finely chopped potato
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 large lemon’s juice
- 2 tablespoon garlic
- 2 tablespoon ginger
- 15 count curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ cup peanuts or almonds, roughly chopped/crushed/grinded
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoon golden raisins (optional)
- 8 cashews, whole (optional)
- red chili powder (optional)
- chopped green chilies
- chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- Heat oil in a pan. Once heated add cumin seeds and allow them to roast. Once they pop and turn semi-brown add hing, then immediately add chopped potatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add onions, curry leaves, chopped chilies, raisins, garlic, and ginger. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add peanuts/almonds, cashews, raisins, sugar, lemon juice, and red chili powder (optional). Cover the pot with a lid and now cook on low for about 2 minutes.
- Mix the contents and now add the cooked pasta and sesame seeds to the pot. Be sure to add a generous amount of oil.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring a few times to prevent sticking.
- Top with cilantro, finely chopped onions, finely chopped green chilies, and lemon.
- Serve! Happy Eating Folks!