Chutney Grilled Cheese, An Indian Breakfast Idea
A grilled cheese with garlic and cilantro chutney a runny egg is as delicious as it sounds! This is a quick Indian breakfast or brunch idea packed with flavors, protein, and fiber. Make it for one or a that can be made in no time.
Homemade cilantro chutney is a condiment enjoyed my Indians throughout the country and I have included the staple recipe down below for you. It is flavored with fresh garlic and chili peppers makes a grilled cheese taste even better. Give this American favorite with an Indian twist a try!
Chutney Grilled Cheese
Growing up grilled cheese with chutney were always on the menu as a fusion Indian breakfast. Instead of just adding cheese to grilled butter bread, she would add vegetables and chutney to flavor it up. My mom would make cold chutney sandwiches with American sliced cheese and mayonnaise for gatherings and it was my favorite! The spice, carb, and cheesy flavors just go well together.
- Thin sliced bread (I prefer white bread but you can use any)
- American Cheese, sliced (white or yellow)
- Cilantro Chutney
- Fried Egg (cooked to your liking)
- Sliced chili peppers (jalapeno, serrano, or thai)
- Tomatoes, sliced or chopped
- Onions, sliced or chopped
- Baby Spinach (chopped) optional
How to make the sandwich
- First, make the chutney by blending the ingredients together and setting it aside.
- Next, heat a pan on medium-low heat. Once it is hot spray some oil and crack an egg in it.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for about 3 minutes while you make the grilled cheese.
- Heat another pan on medium/low heat
- Butter the bread slices on one side and place them on the pan butter side down (alternatively you can put butter in a pan and then place the sliced bread into the pan)
- Spread the chutney on the bread while it is in the pan, slowly. I use a spoon
- Layer on a sliced cheese and additional toppings to one side of the bread only.
- Slide the sunny side up egg onto the toppings.
- Top it with the other butter grilled sliced bread.
Slice the sandwich in half and enjoy with my favorite-Maggie chili sauce.
Chutney Grilled Cheese Sandwich Fried Egg
GRILLED CHEESE INGREDIENTS
- 8 slices bread
- 4 slices cheese (pepperjack, american, cheddar)
- 1 chopped jalapeno/serrano/thai chili
- 4 tbsp chopped onion
- 4 tbsp chopped tomato
- 4 large eggs
- 8 tbsp butter for bread (salted tastes better)
- 8 tbsp cilantro chutney, recipe below
- oil/butter to cook egg
- baby spinach
CILANTRO CHUTNEY INGREDIENTS
- 1 jalapeno/serrano/thai chili (based on your spice level tolerance)
- 1 bunch cilantro, about 3 cups
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Blend all ingredients together and set it aside.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days or freeze in small portions for 3 months.
- Heat a medium size pan on high and then lower the temperature to the lowest setting. Melt butter and place a slice of bread on the pan. Do the same with another slice of bread.
- Top each slice of bread with a tbsp of cilantro chutney.
- Layer the bread with cheese and your favorite toppings (onion, tomato, chili peppers and spinach are my favorite).
- Add the fried egg on to of the spinach.
- Top the egg with the other slice of bread and gently move the sandwich from the pan onto a cutting board. Tip: do not put pressure on the egg since the yolk is still runny.
FRIED EGG (over-easy)
- Heat a small pan on high heat.
- Lower the temperature to the lowest setting and place butter/oil in the pan.
- Crack an egg into the pan. Use your spatula to push the outside layer of the egg to the center. This will help prevent wide spreading of the egg.
- Add salt, pepper, red chili powder to the egg and gently flip over. Cook for 30 seconds (you can cook your egg longer if you prefer it fully cooked).
- Gently slide the egg on top of the spinach.