Baked almond crusted spicy halibut in parchment paper
A delicious flaky fish that is cooked with almond flour, spices, lemon, and butter. Paired this spicy halibut recipe with cous cous, asparagus, and a glass of pinot grigio for a date night meal!
Almond Crusted Spicy Halibut
This spicy halibut with lemon is a recipe I made for my husband often and also one of the first recipes I shared on my blog. "Wine Down Wednesdays" were a thing back before we had kids and I would love to create meals that paired well with a wine I would pick. I know, totally backwards but a good bottle of wine deserves an exceptional meal!.
Wine to pair with halibut
I like to pair this recipe with a white wine such as Pinot Grigio. A common go-to version of my favorite Pinot Grigio is this one and readily available at most grocery and liquor stores.
Halibut is a fish that can be ruined easily if it is under/overcooked or not seasoned well. Since the fish itself is on the higher cost side of fish, I would like to help you prevent these issues from happening.
Where to buy halibut?
Sustainable halibut can be purchased at local health food stores. Whole Foods sells halibut in the seafood department and I recommend buying there if a local market is not an option
- sustainable halibut fish filets
- black pepper
- lemon garlic butter (recipe below)
- almond flour
- red crushed pepper
How to prep the fish
Lemon Butter Recipe
Combine fresh lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh parsley, butter, oil, and salt together. This lemon butter tastes great and smells divine. I would extra, if time permits.
Just grind it all together and WAHLAH-magic!
How to cook the halibut
After prepping the fish, prep the oven. Place a rack in the oven on the second shelf from the top. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Once it gets hot, transfer the fish to the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes. Then, turn the oven on HIGH BROIL mode and broil for about 5 minutes to get a crisp top layer. Be very careful, and keep an eye on the oven to assure the top does not burn.
Air fry halibut
I air fry halibut in my Breville Smart Oven air fryer. The fish comes out delicious! Want to try it? I cook halibut in an air fryer about 12 minutes at 400 degrees. This helps get the butter and crust a bit crispy and the inside remains flaky. Give air fryer halibut a try!
Pair it with
I enjoy halibut with couscous and a vegetable like asparagus or green beans. The combination between a flaky halibut filet, crisp asparagus, and al dente couscous pair well together. Don't forget a generous squeeze of lemon juice on top!
Almond Crusted Lemon Halibut
- 2 filets halibut
- 6 tablespoon almond flour
- 5 tablespoon butter
- pinch lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic, fresh and grated
- black pepper
- 2 servings couscous/rice
- 2 servings roasted asparagus (cooked al dente)
- Blend lemon juice, lemon zest, butter, garlic, and parsley together.
- Set it aside to top the halibut later.
- Lay a clean parchment paper on a roasting pan.
- Wash and dry the halibut filets and place them on the clean parchment paper.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika, and oil to the skin side of the halibut. Flip over and do the same.
- Generously slather the lemon butter mixture onto each filet (not the skin side)
- Top the lemon butter with almond flour and gently pat it down to allow the almond flour to stick to the butter.
- Place the halibut filets into a 425 degree oven for 7 minutes. If you are not using parchment paper, then I recommend a roasting pan like THIS one.
- Keep a careful look on the fish when switching to the next step
- Change the oven temperature to HIGH BROIL and broil for about 5 minutes. You can add an additional 2 minutes if you want the top layer to be extra brown, but I don't recommend cooking over this time frame.
- Enjoy with couscous, rice, and roasted asparagus for a complete meal