Almond crusted spicy halibut with baked and air fryer halibut instructions
Pair this spicy halibut recipe with couscous, asparagus, and a glass of pinot grigio for a date night meal! You will not be disappointed.
Flaky whitefish is one of my favorites and halibut never disappoints.
This spicy halibut with lemon is a recipe I make for my husband often and is also one of the first recipes I shared on my blog. "Wine Down Wednesdays" were a thing back before we had kids and I would love to create meals that paired well with a wine I would pick up from the grocery store.
- sustainable halibut fish filets
- black pepper
- lemon garlic butter (recipe below)
- almond flour
- red crushed pepper
- smoked paprika
Lemon Butter Ingredients
- fresh lemon zest
- lemon juice
- fresh parsley
- salt together
Preparation and Instructions
Make the garlic butter by combining the ingredients
Wash and pat the halibut fish dry.
Sprinkle black pepper and drizzle oil on the skin.
Grab a clean piece of parchment paper and lay it on a counter.
Place the fish skin side down and then sprinkle with spices.
Prep the area by having your garlic butter and almond flour ready.
Spread the garlic butter on the halibut.
Sprinkle with almond flour.
Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for about 7-10 minutes and then high broil if you prefer a crisp top later.
Air fried halibut
I air fry halibut in my Breville Smart Oven air fryer. The fish comes out delicious! I cook halibut in an air fryer for about 12 minutes at 400 degrees. This helps get the butter and crust a bit crispy and the inside remains flaky. Give air fryer halibut a try!
Pair it with
I enjoy halibut with couscous and a vegetable like asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or green beans. Plus a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Prevent over or under cooking- Halibut is a fish that can be ruined easily if it is under/overcooked or not seasoned well. For that reason, I recommend using the instructions and measurements listed.
- Where to buy halibut? Sustainable halibut can be purchased at local health food stores. Whole Foods sells halibut in the seafood department.
Almond Crusted Lemon Halibut
- 2 filets halibut
- 6 tablespoon almond flour mixed with salt and crushed red pepper
- smoked paprika
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, fresh and grated
- pinch lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh preferred
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 servings couscous/rice
- 2 servings roasted asparagus (cooked al dente)
- Blend or combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, butter, garlic, and parsley together. Add crushed red chili flakes for spice if preferred.
- Set it aside to top the halibut later.
- Lay a clean parchment paper on top of a roasting pan.
- Wash and dry the halibut filets and place them on the clean parchment paper.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika, and oil to the skin side of the halibut. Flip over and do the same.
- Generously slather the lemon butter mixture onto each filet (not the skin side)
- Top the lemon butter with almond flour mixture and gently pat it down to allow the almond flour to stick to the butter.
- There is no need to cover the halibut with a lid or foil paper. Bake in an open oven.
Oven Baked Halibut
- Place the halibut filets into a 425 degree oven for 7 minutes. If you are not using parchment paper, then I recommend a roasting pan like THIS one.
- Keep a careful look on the fish when switching to the next step
- Change the oven temperature to BROIL and broil for about 3-5 minutes. You can add an additional 2 minutes if you want the top layer to be extra brown, but I don't recommend cooking over this time frame.
- Enjoy with couscous, rice, and roasted asparagus for a complete meal
Air Fried Halibut
- Place the halibut into the air fryer that is heated to 400 degrees for about 12 minnutes (no parchment paper needed).
- Remove from the air fryer and let it rest for 2 minutes before serving with couscous, rice, and roasted vegetables.