A go-to toddler meal
An easy to make nutritious meal that includes chicken, quinoa, vegetables, and bone broth. This Instant Pot congee recipe is a first food offered to kids in East Asia and is what my kids grew up eating. My easy Instant Pot Bone Broth Porridge recipe can be made in the same time it takes you to brew a hot cup of coffee.
Instant Pot Bone Broth Porridge
This is a simple everyday meal that can be made in an Instant Pot. It is perfect for babies, toddlers, and kids with its packed nutrients which includes rice, quinoa, cruciferous vegetables, bone broth, and chicken. In East Asia, this dish is called "Congee" which is a first food given to babies and I can't recommend it enough.
I came across this recipe at a friends sons 1st birthday party. She was feeding her son congee and mentioned it was a first food given to kids in Vietnam. Which intrigued my cooking mindset for the future.
Is it possible to make Vegetarian Congee?
Honestly, the whole point behind this dish being nutritious is based on bone broth. Some vegetarians are okay eating broths, and if that is the case then simply skip the chicken and continue on with the recipe. Looking for a vegetarian recipe? Then do check out quinoa kichdi recipe for a vegetarian kid friendly recipe.
What is Bone Broth made from?
The name says it all. It is slow simmered water, vegetables, and bones based on the type of bones being used. The minerals and nutrients present in bones is what gives bone broth a tasty and nutritious outcome. You can make your own at home by simmering ingredients for hours at a time, or purchase it online/at your local grocery store. To give you an insight of how it is made and why it may be a bit pricey; bones from dinner are soaked overnight with a few vegetables and spices and simmered on low the next day long hours.
What are the benefits of Bone Broth?
For one it has many minerals which are beneficial in a multitude of ways. Bone Broth increases bone strength with magnesium, phosphorous, and of course there is calcium. Next, there is collagen in Bone Broth which we all know is needed for us aging gems. Why not start the kids off right at a younger age and give them the good stuff from the get go, right? Perhaps this is the trick to conserving elasticity to our skin.
I personally have to say better sleep after bone broth might be true. My husband is big on drinking Bone Broth. He drinks it in the mornings and lets just say, he has no issues with sleep... I wanted it to have the same effect on my kids because this momma really could use the time while they napped. In the end, I can't confirm better sleep because of this recipe, but I do know that they slept well most days after eating this Instant Pot Bone Broth Porridge for a meal
Step-by-Step Instructions for Bone Broth Porridge
How to change the recipe for everyday eating?
I gave my little one porridge almost everyday with different variations. Except, one key ingredient remained the same every time which was bone broth. Bone in chicken, rice, and other grains can be added to make it more versatile. The variations included different grains, vegetables, spices, herbs, and oils.
What to change if you offer Instant Pot Bone Broth Porridge daily
- turmeric (powder or fresh)
- parsley (fried or fresh)
- dried onions
- fresh onions
- oils! (fish oil, coconut oil, avocado oil...)
- vegetables can be changed everyday
- peas, spinach, kale, carrots, green beans, bell peppers, cabbage, broccoli slaw, sweet potato, butternut squash, acorn squash, zucchini, etc.
- quinoa, millet, rajgira, amaranth, and even lentils
- beef or chicken bone broth are both great options
Spice it up!
- soy sauce
- toasted sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- green onions
- dry roasted unsalted peanuts
- chopped chili peppers
Try this quick and easy recipe for your family and let me know what you think! I love hearing from you!
IT IS DELISH!
You all have seen me make this one too many times on my Instagram stories. Hope you all enjoy it! Please let me know what you and your baby think of this dish. I love hearing from you!
Instant Pot Bone Broth Porridge Recipe
Instant Pot Bone Broth Porridge
- ¼ cup rice, (or a mix of quinoa, white rice, or grain of choice) washed until water runs clear
- 1 cup bone broth, chicken or beef
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon onions, chopped finely (dried or fresh)
- ¼ cup vegetable(s), chopped finely see list above
- 1 piece chicken, drumstick, wing, or thigh (with the skin-on and bone-in)
- salt (for babies over 12 months)
- Place all ingredients into the instant pot.
- Close the lid and use the pre-set "porridge" button (or 20 minutes normal pressure). Leave the vent to sealing so no air escapes.
- Open once the Instant Pot has completely cooled and the valve has dropped naturally.
- Shred the chicken with a fork as needed and serve hot/warm.
- HAPPY EATING LITTLE ONE! <3