Tender cooked beef barbacoa with chipotle keto bowl flavors
A fool-proof beef barbacoa recipe that can be cooked in an Instant Pot or slow cooker with cloves, chipotle peppers, and nutmeg. The tender beef is perfect to shred for keto chipotle bowls on a taco tuesday or to eat on top of a taco shell. This is a family friendly meal worth trying!
Slow Cooked Beef Barbacoa
When a tough meat is slowly cooked the tenderized final result is one to dream about. This is the ultimate Barbacoa recipe! Don’t wait another day to make it. Seriously! Add it to your weekly menu. You will not be disappointed.
What kind of beef to slow cook with
Chuck roast is a go-to for slow cooking keto chipotle bowl beef. In many cases, grocery stores will have stew meat available in packages as well. When making this recipe, you want to start with a good chuck roast. Luckily, its available almost everywhere in the US! Be sure to trim the fat off as much as you can. I resist many times not to trim the fat because it really makes the dish flavorful, but you will most likely end up throwing it away when shredding the meat once its cooked. So do yourself a favor and trim off as much as you can from the beginning, then cut it into medium sized chunks.
How to meal prep Chipotle Keto Beef Barbacoa Bowls
Meal prepping this beef barbacoa dish is also a great option. You can make all of the fixin’s ahead of time and cook the barbacoa on MEAL DAY! Making the beef the day you want to have it is the best option when it comes to this recipe. However, I do like to prep my cauliflower rice, veggies, and salsas for the week.
Did I mention it’s a family meal? My kids devour barbacoa with avocado and onions. Yup, onions! These Chipotle Barbacoa Keto Bowls are definitely a perfect meal for kids and adults. But don’t be shy to add a Siete Tortilla in there if you want to have a little bit of a wrap to it.
Serve it with tortillas, salad, rice, beans, guacamole… possibilities are endless!
What to serve with beef barbacoa
I love to serve keto chipotle beef barbacoa with a lot of sides so that it is very family friendly. Everyone can have their own toppings whether someone chooses to be a vegetarian that day or go on a low carb high protein (keto diet). Choose from any or all of the following…
- mexican rice
- cauliflower rice
- black beans
- sour cream
- lettuce, spinach, or kale if you dare
- corn salsa
- flour or corn tortillas
- fresh sliced peppers
- roasted veggies
The smaller the chunks the tender the beef will cook.
Step by Step Beef Barbacoa Recipe
Keto Chipotle Beef Barbacoa Recipe
- Slow Cooker (Instant Pot or Oven also works)
- Cutting Board
- Bowl for serving
- Pan for searing
- Skimmer or Colander to drain beef
- 2 lb chuck roast, cut into medium sized chunks
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin (jeeru)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves (pinch)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- In a blender combine the garlic, adobo peppers, ground cloves, ground cumin, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, oregano, and beef broth. Blend it well and set it aside.
- Heat a pan on medium high with some oil.
- Sear the trimmed and cut chuck roast pieces until brown on all sides.
- Take the beef and place it in a slow cooker. TIP: Do not use the oil and drippings from the pan, be sure to discard it.
- Pour the blender ingredients into the slow cooker and mix well with the seared beef.
- Set the slow cooker to 4 hours high or 8 hours low. If you are using an Instant Pot, set it on slow cook for 4 hours.
- Once the time is up, take the beef chunks out onto a cutting board and shred.
- Place the shredded beef back into the slow cooker so it absorbs more of the juice.
- Let it marinate for an additional 30 minutes or more.
- Before serving, drain the shredded beef in a colander or use a skimmer to place it into a serving bowl.
- Toss with cilantro and serve!