Vegan Indian Zucchini Roti Recipe
A delicious combination of fresh zucchini mixed with whole wheat flour make this roti recipe a family friendly everyday pick. With options to add extra nutrition such as avocado oil, flax seeds, and gluten free flour this recipe is one to be on repeat once you have tried it. The optional gluten free zucchini bread recipe is great for celiac or gluten sensitive individuals.
Indian zucchini roti is a recipe we use weekly in our house. With many variations of roti I make, personally this one has got to be my favorite. The addition of a vegetable that is not too pungent in flavor but still increases the veggie number for my family on a daily basis is what keeps me making them over and over again. Do try these for the pickiest eater in your life.
What kind of flour to use for Indian zucchini roti?
I prefer to use an organic variation of whole wheat flour available at most Indian Grocery stores. My personal favorite go-to brand is Mantra 24 which can be found on amazon as well.
Gluten free Zucchini Bread / Roti
To make this a gluten free zucchini bread or roti recipe you can use your favorite gluten free flours. Try Bobs Red Mill which can be found at health food stores or even your local grocery store sometimes.
Kid friendly vegetable roti recipe
If you have kids who might question the color change of a roti then this is definitely a recipe for you. With the addition of certain veggies, the roti might change its color and flavor. This is one recipe that I can honestly say is very subtle and not too drastic with changes it may bring to your picky eater.
What to serve Indian Zucchini roti with?
I love serving it with okra, sprouted mung beans, or butter chicken. My kids love each and ever single one of those sides and will never say no to any of it. Be sure to give it a try and let me know what your family thinks.
What else can I eat with roti?
I use these roti for many different foods which range from Mexican dishes, Italian meals, and Indian dinners. You can make quesadillas, enchiladas, pizza, or serve it as a naan replacement. Indian Zucchini roti is definitely a great way to get extra nutrition into your kids and I can definitely say you will not be disappointed.
Other favorite roti recipes
Step by Step Instructions for Indian Zucchini Roti
Indian Zucchini Rotli Recipe
Indian Zucchini Roti Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tbsp pureed zucchini (equivalent to ¼ cup)
- 2 tsp oil
- ¼ cup water
- optional salt
- optional ground chia seeds
- optional ground flax seeds
- dusting all purpose flour
- Divide into 9 sections and form into small balls using the palm of your hands.
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat.
- Dust each with all purpose flour and roll out into a 6″ diameter rotli. TIP: the thickness of the rotli can determine its ability to inflate during the cooking process.
- Once rolled out, place the rotli on the hot pan. Wait about 20 seconds and flip over. Wait about 40 seconds and then place the cooler side down over an open flame and let it rise SIDE NOTE: be sure the pan is hot before starting the cooking process.
- Serve as is, topped with ghee, or topped with un/salted butter.
HAPPY EATING FOLKS <3