This recipe hit the spot for some southern inspired cooking. Sausage, shrimp, and sweet red pepper combined with a flavored rice is definitely something to rave about. I enjoy eating jambalaya, but I enjoy it even more so when there is a kick of spice to it and extra sausage. The addition of chili powder to this meal will have you wanting to make this more often than before!
I prefer not to mix everything into one pot, but you are more than welcome to do that. This is just my version of Jambalaya with everything made separately and combined together, in the end. Make your rice first (feel free to use an Instant Pot). I cut my sausage into small pieces and then saute them with a red bell pepper until all of it is golden brown, and then I add red chili powder for my extra kick. Saute your shrimp with just a little cajun seasoning and top it all on the rice.
- 1 box jambalaya rice
- 1 package sausage, chopped small
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped finely
- red chili powder
- 10 raw jumbo shrimp
- cajun seasoning
- chopped hot chili peppers (optional as a topping)
- Make the jambalaya rice according to the boxed instructions. Feel free to use an Instant Pot if it is convenient.
Sausage + Pepper Mix
- Cut sausage link into small pieces
- Saute sausage and bell pepper with some oil on medium heat. Once golden brown remove content into a bowl and use the same pan to make shrimp. (You can use a different pan if you choose to. I just use the same one to save time.)
- Saute the shrimp with oil and cajun seasoning. Check your seasoning to see if salt is included.
Assembling the Jambalaya
- Place rice on a plate, add sausage and pepper mixture on top, and then shrimp on the peak. Enjoy with additional hot sauce or chopped chili peppers.
- You can also mix everything together instead of assembling separately. It is all a personal preference.