Desi Kale Chips
Are you guys ready for a healthy snack with an Indian Twist this Diwali?
Try this recipe with my desi seasoning for that Cholafali taste without the frying business ;). Not that I am against the fried goodness of some AMAZING Diwali snacks but with all of the holidays being combined into one lump sum, it’s nice to enjoy something festive and healthy (WIN WIN). Which is why you should try this healthy fusion snack and convert those around you.
I mean, it is the decade of KALE if you ask me… I never got into it (truthfully), but then a trip to Portland, Oregon and a stay at the AC Hotel changed my world! You guys these are fail proof if you take the right steps in making them. We love them so much as a family, it has replaced our movie night popcorn (kids chips are topped with parmesan cheese)! Give it a try for a healthier change :).
- I prefer curly leaf kale (green works best but red is okay too for an additional beta-carotene). Overall Curly Leaf Kale seems to work best for a crisp taste
- Take the curly leaves off of the stem
- Wash and DRY THOROUGHLY (key step)
- If the kale is not completely dry the chips will not cook well
- Massage some oil into the kale. I’m talking deep down massage like you’re kneading some dough
- Lay the kale on an oven safe pan.
- Assure the kale is not overlapping or too congested on the pan (will prevent crisping)
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes, tossing half way through
- Sprinkle with my Desi Kale Chip Seasoning (recipe below).
- I have had no luck storing these so I recommend eating them right away 🙂
Desi Kale Chips
- 1 bunch curly leaf kale
- ½ tsp jaljeera
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp jeera powder (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take the curly leaves off of the kale stem and wash with cold water.
- Dry the kale leaves thoroughly. This is a key step. Want to speed this step up? Consider a prepackaged bag of kale and lay it out for about 10 minutes to get rid of additional moisture. Again, assuring the leaves are thoroughly dry.
- Lay the leaves on an oven safe pan making sure the kale is not overlapping or too congested. This will prevent crisping.
- Cook for about 4 minutes and give a quick toss.
- Bake again for about 4 minutes.
- Top with Desi Kale Seasoning (recipe below)
- Mix the ingredients together. This a great mixture to keep on hand for roasted potatoes, papad topping, etc.
- Happy Eating, Folks! <3