Crave Worthy Chaat Masala Chips Chivda aka Chevdo
Love chaat? Try this easy recipe! This drooling recipe contains chaat masala, roasted peanuts, and other fresh ingredients that are crowd pleasing and tastebud approved.
A delicious combo inspired by my childhood favorite chana chatpat. Love chaat? Give my Ragda Patties recipe a try. Chaat Masala Chips can be served at picnics, bbq parties, baby shower, house warming, or an adult birthday party with cocktails.
Chaat Masala Chips Chivda
Chop tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, and cilantro very finely. Place it all in a bowl.
Mix the ingredients together in the bowl.
Crush the chips into small pieces.
Add unsalted roasted peanuts to the chips.
Toss it together.
Add the tomatoes and onion mixture to the chips.
Squeeze lemon or lime juice on top and serve immediately.
Hint: save some time - Combine all of the ingredients except the chips together. Mix it together right before serving.
- Chips- Kettle Cooked Chips can be used instead of Ruffles
- Jalapeno- Replace with a spicier pepper or use bell peppers for a mild taste
- Red Chili Powder- Replace with cayenne pepper
- Chaat Masala- Replace with black salt
- For large gatherings- Combine the tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro together with the spices and lime juice. Place it in a bowl next to the chips and mix right before eating.
Allowing the chivda to sit for a while may cause it to become soggy. It is best to eat right away.
- 10 oz salted potato chips
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (more or less)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala (more or less)
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¾ cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- oil (optional)
EXTRA TOPPINGS (optional)
- chaat masala
- red chili powder
- Crush the potato chips... (I know, my heart aches smooshing those perfectly large chips too).
- In a large bowl, mix the 2 chopped tomatoes, 1 chopped onions, 2 chopped jalapeno peppers, 1 teaspoon chaat masala, 1 teaspoon ed chili powder, and lime juice together.
- Mix the chips and the salsa together. Add oil and a sprinkle of salt, then combine well with your hands while crushing the chips a little more (works best).
- Serve ASAP with extra optional toppings (chaat masala, red chili powder, lime juice, cilantro, etc)
- For a large gathering lay out the chips, salsa, and toppings.
- Lime juice tastes best, but lemon juice can be substituted.
- Extra salt is recommended for this dish to bring out the flavors of the fresh ingredients.